In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Wet Brass Cleaning

RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
Any of you guys using stainless steel media with a drum type tumbler? I'm getting ready to purchase what I need. I seen the results and it looks great. I mean spotless primer pockets.

Comments

• Options
    M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    I have read about the wet tumbling with stainless pins. Does a great job. The ultra sonic cleaners also do a great job, either would be a good choice. I think it would depend on how much brass you clean at one time. The ultra sonic cleaners are fast though, maybe I need to get both![:)]
  • Options
    casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 2 vibrating tumblers and an ultra sonic. They now collect dust.
    I have gone exclusively stainless steel. There is no comparison.
    Now anyone can go and spend $170+ for a wet tumbler. I built my own using a 5 gal home depot bucket.
    5 lbs of media, a little dish soap, lemi shine, 2~2 ? gal water and 2 hours.
  • Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also have a s/s pin tumbler/cleaner.
    It does a fantastic job when used as directed.
    It's the best cleaning method that I have ever used.
    The cases look brand new when finished.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by casper1947
    I have 2 vibrating tumblers and an ultra sonic. They now collect dust.
    I have gone exclusively stainless steel. There is no comparison.
    Now anyone can go and spend $170+ for a wet tumbler. I built my own using a 5 gal home depot bucket.
    5 lbs of media, a little dish soap, lemi shine, 2~2 ? gal water and 2 hours.

Can you explain your process a little better? I'm very interested, because I'm cheap by nature.

Thanks,
    RobOz
  • Options
    casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use about 2 gal of water (filtered) a water & mix change at 2 hours would improve the results but I am more than satisfied with the 2 hr run. I use 5 lb of media but will increase that to 10 one of these days.I guess the most I have done a one time is about 350 9MM.

After the run I take the 5 gal and pour it into a 2 gal (there will be a lot of soap suds) it will over flow, then pour off excess water, add more water and stir brass and media, pour off and repeat till water is clear and soap free. Then add water to a depth of abt 3" above the media and brass (pins will fall off easier if in water) and pick the brass out and lay on shop cloth to dry. There are other methods of extracting the media but this requires nothing but ME.

"The mix was 2 gallons of water, 2 table spoons of Dawn dish washing soap, ? teaspoon of Lemishine detergent."

I went for the classic "RedNeck" tumbler. And I think I made it. Mine uses an old trash compactor and 2"x12" that were in the garage. My investment consists of 8 bolts and nuts, 6' of vinyl tube, bucket and lid, and 4 _" hose clamps. Rotates at 50~60 RPM.

A good starting point for me was:
    http://idpaforum.yuku.com/topic/8193/Homemade-wet-tumbler-for-stainless-steel-media#.UX6UNspMcUn

I went with a chain driven dual drive shaft method. But I do know of an old dryer (modified drum) and bucket.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by casper1947
    I use about 2 gal of water (filtered) a water & mix change at 2 hours would improve the results but I am more than satisfied with the 2 hr run. I use 5 lb of media but will increase that to 10 one of these days.I guess the most I have done a one time is about 350 9MM.

After the run I take the 5 gal and pour it into a 2 gal (there will be a lot of soap suds) it will over flow, then pour off excess water, add more water and stir brass and media, pour off and repeat till water is clear and soap free. Then add water to a depth of abt 3" above the media and brass (pins will fall off easier if in water) and pick the brass out and lay on shop cloth to dry. There are other methods of extracting the media but this requires nothing but ME.

"The mix was 2 gallons of water, 2 table spoons of Dawn dish washing soap, ? teaspoon of Lemishine detergent."

I went for the classic "RedNeck" tumbler. And I think I made it. Mine uses an old trash compactor and 2"x12" that were in the garage. My investment consists of 8 bolts and nuts, 6' of vinyl tube, bucket and lid, and 4 _" hose clamps. Rotates at 50~60 RPM.

A good starting point for me was:
    http://idpaforum.yuku.com/topic/8193/Homemade-wet-tumbler-for-stainless-steel-media#.UX6UNspMcUn

I went with a chain driven dual drive shaft method. But I do know of an old dryer (modified drum) and bucket.[:D]

Now you got me thinking!

Thanks a bunch,

RobOz
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bought a Thumlers and never looked back..........