In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Slug & Buck Reloading 12 Gauge 2 3/4" Hulls

hermiemhermiem Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
Shotgun Shell Realoaders,

I'm trying to determine if there are any loads and/or video demonstrations for a Lee 1.0 Oz slug that can also be loaded with some 00 buckshot? I realize that there are many articles, loads and vids on "buck and ball" reloading. However, I haven't found any for a slug and buck round. The first thing I'd like to know is it safe to do so? Second is if so, do you need a wad (I'm thinking that you do.) and what kind? Third is what kind of powder and the number of grains? (I have 700-X, 800-X, Bullseye and Unique powder available.) Any constructive suggestions and/or info would be greatly appreciated - as always.

Best Regards,

Mike

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I cast and load the Lyman sabot slug 540gr. BlueDot and a red AA wad in silver AA cases. I also load 12 OO with same wad in red AA cases. Shot 1000's of OO over the years, like #4 but don't have a mold for it yet.

Never saw the need for slugs and buckshot at the same time.

Unique is good with buckshot and slug loads. Sot lots of 700x with regular birdshot. Bullseye would not be on my list for shotgun.
  • hermiemhermiem Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Charlie,

Once again - thank bunches!

Mike

quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    I cast and load the Lyman sabot slug 540gr. BlueDot and a red AA wad in silver AA cases. I also load 12 OO with same wad in red AA cases. Shot 1000's of OO over the years, like #4 but don't have a mold for it yet.

Never saw the need for slugs and buckshot at the same time.

Unique is good with buckshot and slug loads. Sot lots of 700x with regular birdshot. Bullseye would not be on my list for shotgun.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    I have used the Lee 7/8 oz. slug with 700X, but for the 1 oz. you need to go to Blue Dot. I have never loaded a slug and 00 buck together, however, if you use a 1-1/4 oz. plastic wad, put the slug into the wad and then fill the balance with 00, check the weight and go to a reloading book for powder amount it should work fine. The plastic wad method allows total weight and still some compression thru the choke area. I would be very interested in what kind of wild pattern you would get.

Edit: 700X is a very fast burning powder and raises the pressures quite high. For a 7/8 oz. slug I use 24 gr., and it kicks you pretty good (sport load for 1 1/8 oz. is about 17.5 gr.). The Blue Dot is a slower burning magnum powder like Herco,or Accurate #5, and should give you a better load due to lower pressures. Although I rarely use Blue Dot I have found it to be serviceable in heavy loads for shotgun. I'm quite sure duck hunter reloaders will have a better recommendation for the powder then I would.
  • hermiemhermiem Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gee,

Thanks! One question please - why the Blue Dot over 700-X?

Mike

quote:Originally posted by geeguy
    I have used the Lee 7/8 oz. slug with 700X, but for the 1 oz. you need to go to Blue Dot. I have never loaded a slug and 00 buck together, however, if you use a 1-1/4 oz. plastic wad, put the slug into the wad and then fill the balance with 00, check the weight and go to a reloading book for powder amount it should work fine. The plastic wad method allows total weight and still some compression thru the choke area. I would be very interested in what kind of wild pattern you would get.