In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Powder Question

I started reloading late this spring and noticed something strange:

I am using hogdon titegroup and CCI primers to reload .45 ACP,
my rounds are now extremely dirty. I haven't had to clean that much carbon out of my gun and off my hands since I used Wolf ammo.

Is titegroup just a dirty powder or am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• Options
    Removed at users request.Removed at users request. Member Posts: 3,027
    edited November -1
    Who makes a powder named XMP 5744 it is listed in my speer #13 manual but I cant find anyone that has used it ...... any help would be appreciated..

Thanks David.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What powder does Hornady use in the 7mm factory loads? Or what would best duplicate it?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is there such a thing as a universal powder for 38,41 and 44? Trying to keep the powder selection down to the basics if possible. I currently have H110, unique and 2400 on hand. Thanks.

Todd
  • Options
    edited November -1
    When you finish loading for a day or two, How long do you leave the powder in the dispenser. I have a lock and load hornady press with an auto powder feeder and was wondering how long i can lleave the powder in it. Sometimes i load a few then quit for a few days because of my health. thanks
    JW
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Would someone please recommend a powder that would be serviceable for both 9mm and 45acp, and another that would be serviceable for both .223 and .308?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I haven't started to reload yet but have most of the equipment. With the equipment I bought I recieved 3 cans of IMR-4831. I was reading an old Lyman book (copyright 1982) and couldn't find any referance to this powder. I have another reloading book but haven't had time to get to it. Is this a newer powder ? I'm thinking of loading 22 Hornet, 222, 223, 257, 308 and 7mm Mag. Is there an "interchange" or cross referance for powder.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Are IMR4350 and H4350 the same powder.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hello, i have a few cans of older powder and was trying to fiqure out the particulars on them, like what this powder should be use for. have one can of hercules 2400. on the can is says rifle powder, although someone told me that this is for pistols? got one can of dupont SR-4756, and a can of SR-7625. not sure if these powders are still available. if not, what might they be eqivilant to todays powder?
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    W231 in the pistols and IMR3031 in the rifles.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    W231 in the pistols and R-15 in the rifles [;)]
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Unique and 3031.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unique or Bullseye for pistol and AA2230C for 223 & 06.
    Bullseye has or had the greatest energy per pound of powder.
    I picked up an 8lb jug of AA2230C (made in RSA)because it was there. It has recipes for both rifle calibers on the label. It's ball so it measures better than stick as do the small grain pistol powders. Haven't tried it yet. It's supposed to be a bit smoky but accurate.
    Having a little of this and that powder doesn't make sense today.
    A good supply of as few as possible universal powders is the way to go for a lot of us in this drought.
    Precision shooters, bullseye shooters, bench rest shooters and experimenters have other criteria.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester 231, 9mm and 45ACP
    748, CFE223, BLC2 for the 223 and 308. I been shooting a lot of BLC2. I use only ball powders for those two cartridges,I hate to weigh charges.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    231 and Unique are very versitile in handgun loads...can't help ya on the rifle powder
  • Options
    steve4102steve4102 Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    223 and 308 = TAC

9MM and 45 = Silhouette

In reality it's whatever you can find. Go through your loading manuals, make copies or take pictures. Then head to your LGS and see what if anything is available.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like Unique in the 9 and .45 ACP. Try WW-748 in the two rifles
  • Options
    the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    W231 for the pstols, and varget for the rifles...if you shoot heavy pills ouof the 223.....
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am also a Unique addict....for .38, .357, .44 mag and spl, and ..45 colt as well. It somehow seems to work in almost any handgun ( and shotgun) case....
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Pistol:
    Unique, Clays, Solo1000, 700X, 800X, Win 231

Rifle: Although I like the IMR3031 across a wide range, I have always used different powder for these two loads because their needs are quite different. I would not try to use for both, can you, yes, should you, try and see your results. I would buy a different powder for .308 vs. .223. Many good choices in reloading books.

Best of luck
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not load for pistol.

IMR 8208 XBR works, and works well, for both of the rifle calibers.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Depends on if you are loading light target loads or full power loads for the pistol, light or heavy bullets for the rifles.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Charles Johnson
    Would someone please recommend a powder that would be serviceable for both 9mm and 45acp, and another that would be serviceable for both .223 and .308?

Thanks in advance.

Did ya find a load for your girls?
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unique and IMR 4895 will NEVER fail you.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,663 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had decent results with Titegroup for pistols and H335 for the 223 and 308.
  • Options
    rawiron1rawiron1 Member Posts: 57 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Win 231 and IMR 4198/4320.
  • Options
    Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Unique and IMR 4895 will NEVER fail you.

This!