In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

35 whelen and SR4759

laogailaogai Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
i was given a pound of SR4759. the only thing i can think of to use it for is my 357 bullets to fireform 35 Whelen brass in my 35 Whelen Improved.

can't find load data; anyone help?

Comments

• Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anything in the range of 12 to 18 grains will work just fine. Even the top load will be fairly moderate.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    just wanting to fireform w cheap pistol bullets.
    thanks!
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    I fireform with Waste Powder, and use Uncooked Rice or Cream of Wheat over the Powder. Just stick in a wad of cotton or paper over the Rice or Cream of Wheat, to keep it in during loading and shooting. No bullets used. I can do it in my Garage or Back yard. Father did it into a Big Metal Garbage can. (Tie the Lid so it can't fly, and use Goggles, if you do it this way!) (Yes there was a hole for the Muzzle!) I use about 10 Grains of powder.

Oh yeah, I am doing .35 WAI, too!...
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The LYMAN RELOADING HANDBOOK, Ed. 47, lists loads for cast bullets only with that powder.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    You would be surprised how accurate reduced loads with 4759 can be. Both with cast and jacketed bullets. I have several rifles that will shoot MOA with 16-20 gr of SR with bullets in the 150-200 gr range. I wouldn't call it waste powder at all; load some up and see! [:)]
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I'm a little confused- if you're changing 30-06 into 35 Whelen and you already have it necked to hold a .357" bullet, what else is there to form?

If it were me, I'd load the cases with SR4759 and the .357" bullet to 1800-2000 fps and use them for informal shooting.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sorry for any confusion: I am not changing from 30-06. It's a 35 whelen Ackley Improved, so the shoulder has a sharper angle. when i buy 35 whelen brass i want to fireform it for that shoulder.

many thanks to all.

i do have cream of wheat for that purpose but have not used it yet
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sorry for any confusion: I am not changing from 30-06. It's a 35 whelen Ackley Improved, so the shoulder has a sharper angle. when i buy 35 whelen brass i want to fireform it for that shoulder.

many thanks to all.

i do have cream of wheat for that purpose but have not used it yet
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    You're actually making a bigger deal of it than needed. I have access to two Ackley Improveds, a 257 and a 338/06. they both have 40 degree shoulders and minimum taper, just like your 35 AI. The headspace should be the same, so all that's needed is to load they using standard 35 Whelen load data and shoot them as you would normally use them. The velocity will be a hundred or so fps less than if the load was fired in the standard chamber, but for other than big game use at ranges over a hundred yards, this is not likely a problem. And in the process the case fireforms to the AI chamber.