In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

small pistol mag=small rifle?

nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
loading for a 30 carbine as of late and it of course uses small rifle primers.

The problems is that small rifle primers are hard to come by around here.

However, there's a glut of small pistol magnum.

I know they're not interchangeable, but I'm wondering if the pistol mags can be used if necessary?

Comments

• Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    According to some of my information, the pistol primers are thinner than the rifle primers, so they set deeper in the pocket, but the main problem with them is that the cups are thinner so they can fire reliably with a lighter hammer/pin hit. With that in mind, I'd guess they could be used in a rifle cartridge but the pressure limit would be in the 30K range rather than the 50K range.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nemesisenforcer,

Not a good idea although I'm sure someone will come around stating that THEY got it work...

'Around here' probably doesn't cover much ground but just in case, Midway is stocking Remington #6-1/2 Small Rifle Primers and Natchez has CCI 400 Small Rifle Primers in stock as of this morning. Lacking other choices, you might put in an order just to keep you going for a while or get several folks together to make up a good size order.

Best.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For what it's worth....small rifle and small pistol primers have the same external dimensions. This is NOT the case with the large pistol and large rifle primers. Pistol and rifle primers differ in the amount and composition of the priming pellet.
    Can you use sm. pistol primers in a 30 carbine....probably, especialy if you're loading them with easily ignited powders...like Unique.
    2cents.
  • Options
    carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wideners also has small rifle primers in stock.