In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Load's for copper plated swaged/cast bullets

tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
Friends,

I have acquired some Berry copper clad/plated, swaged/cast bullets for the 41 Magnum. They are the 21o grain variety. They say to use low end, to mid range loads for the jacketed bullets.

Questions:

1.) Does any one have any experience with these bullets, in any caliber?

2.) Does anyone have any suggestions for starting loads? I will be using them in a S&W 657, and a Ruger Redhawk.

Thanks in Advance!

Tim

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you sure those are "copper plated cast"? Current production is swaged and the lead is therefore much softer.
    I do have some copper washed cast bullets but those are 20-30 years old.
    Common practice for copper plated/washed lead bullets is load as you would plain lead of the same hardness. Berry's suggests using moderate loads rather than hotrod magnum loads.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot lots of them in a 40 cal Glock and have had no issues with them. Keep your velocities modest and don't over-crimp your loads.
  • Options
    M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    I have used Berry's for 9mm, no problems loaded low end or high end. If you want to shoot your magnum on a regular basis, you should get a decent iron mold and cast your own. With the right lube and a gas check you could push them as fast as you want.
  • Options
    the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    I use lots of those, mostly Rainier in 45 acp and 40 smith. Use max load, never had a problem with either.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    185 gr 45 acp and 148 gr HBWC in 38 spl.

All target loads. Low to mid-range powder.

No problems at all
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't load for the .41, but I load a lot of Berrys bullets in .38/.357, /44Sp/.44mag, .45 Colt. As was posted/suggested; keep the loads in the mid to upper "lead bullet" speeds (not the faster hard-cast gas checked speeds)and you'll be just fine.

There is a lot of data on the .41 from just about every handgun powder maker that'll suit your needs. Have fun with it!.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try a few and check for leading and accuracy. What's to lose?
    I shot plated and jacketed 22 bullets Winchester and CCI loaded in their 22 RF Magnum ammo at velocities up to 2400fps and pressures to 70kpsi CUP in short test barrels.
    CCI bullets stayed together and jacketed Winchester bullets came apart at the cannelure.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I loaded a bunch of Berry Copper Clad .40s for his XD. The loads are stout enough to reliably function the action and there are no problems with the copper in the bore. I forget the load but it was with Vi 3N38 and a grain or two short of top.
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In general, plated bullets are not to be shot at over 1200fps.
    In general, if you have a question about a bullet, you should contact the manufacturer.
    In general, most companies today use 92/6/2 alloy for swaged bullets, so softness is not a big issue.
    In general, a completely plated bullet doesn't care what the lead alloy is, as long as the plating is not damaged.
    In general does not mean "in every case."