In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Crimp Dies?

D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
I read the sticky up top but I'd prefer to use a crimp die. Whats the difference between the factory, roll & taper crimp dies? Which one would work best for a Ruger Redhawk 44mag using Berry's plated 240gr FP? These are gonna be loaded for plinker/target shooting, nothing hot.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No crimp grove, taper would be ok. light loads might not need much to hold them in place. Full tilt ones will require a good crimp or you will jam the cylinder before you get to round 6.

http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i14510-c16-g8-b0-p0-44_Cal_240gr_FP_500ct.aspx
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In a nut shell a ROLL crimp forms the very end of the case inward, usually into a crimping grove or into a cast bullet. A taper crimp is used primarily on cases that headspace on the case mouth cases like the 45ACP and the 9MM Luger. Using a roll crimp on these cases removes the case edge or lip that is used to control headspace.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    For light 44mag loads, I use a light roll crimp [;)]
  • Options
    steve4102steve4102 Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...and a "Factory" crimp comes in three varieties.
    The taper, the roll and the Bottle necked rifle. The first two are use in handgun ammo just like any other "crimp" die cept Lee puts a carbide ring at the base that can post size any out of spec ammo.

The Rifle Factory crimp die is neither a roll or a taper but a "collet". The case mouth is squeezed in towards the bullet with a set of fingers.