In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

IMR7383 ?

RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
Anybody using this in place of IMR4831? I was thinking about trying it in one of my 25-06's. It can be had for around 55 bucks a 7# jug.

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just keep in mind that those powders outside the parameters of the "commercial canister grade" are not necessarily uniform from lot to lot. Since I've never seen this IMR number, I can't say what it's used for.
    As a side note. Several years ago, I was in the warehouse of (at that time) a high volume reloading supply house. They had rack upon rack of government over run and/or pull down powder in cardboard 55(?) gallon drums sitting in an unheated/uncooled metal pole barn. Probably the worst possible storage conditions other than being out of the rain/sun/snow. I've always wondered where that semi load of powder went when they closed up shop.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    What was it used for in the military? I played with WC860, which is 50BMG powder. It was so slow that ignition was delayed. You could feel the striker hit the firing pin, then kaboom! This in a 300 Win Mag.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never tried IMR 7383. However being an economy reloader I have shot kegs of off the normal path powder. Less than $8/# seems like a good price, can you score several from the same lot? Are you up for load development?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?99852-Data-chart-for-IMR-7383

I get the feeling its faster more of the 4064 4350.

google imr 7383 load data
  • Options
    edited November -1
    From what I'm told, you use IMR 4831 data, starting at -15%.

This is there description:

IMR7383 This is a slow burning stick powder originally used for the Cal. .50
    M48A2 Spotter/Tracer round. This is not the same case as that known as
    the .50 Browning Machine Gun cartridge. This powder is NOT recommended
    for the .50 BMG round. It is a very bulky, single-based powder, composed
    of 85% nitrocellulose and 15% stabilizers, flash inhibitors and graphite;
    that was developed to replace the IMR4831 powder that was being used.
    It has about the same propellant energy as IMR4831 when compared in equal
    volume. IMR4831 data can be used. Begin with starting loads, reduced 15%
    by weight.
    This is new powder, not pulldown.
    $56/7# jug.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read once that all IMR powder have the same energy per grain it's how fast they deliver that energy that is difference.

You have info that this "lot" loads this way then I would start where they tell you to start. 3 or 4 kegs is roughly the price of one normal one so I would go for it. That should take about half the useful barrel life. Watch for a good sale on your bullet of choice and lay in the supply to consume the powder.

I shot more than 50# of H4831 and never weighed a round's charged. mostly in a 30-06 shooting collet pulled military boattails. Scoop them full and seat a bullet. $2/# in paper lunch sack from a local grocery store (boy those were the days).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I will let you guys know how it pans out. Thanks for the info.