In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

300 weatherby mag load data?

D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
A buddy of mine just bought one & he is looking for some suggestions on what powders to try out or what worked good for ya'll? He'll be using winchester LRM primers, weatherby brass & a sierra 175 gr hpbt match bullet. Mostly just need accurate target loads.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it were mine I would try and use a ball powder like H1000.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Alliant RL25, Hodgdon H1000, Ramshot Magnum.

Those give the best velocities, according to their manuals.

I have no actual experience, but I can read the hell out of a manual. [:D]
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If he is willing to use heavy bullets (200gr +) look at the new Re-33. I have been using Alliant's recommended load of 89 grains with the Sierra 220 Match King. At 600 yd. it groups better than I can hold - a buddy of mine is printing near 1/2 minute groups. I haven't tried the Winchester mag primer. Years ago a Weatherby rep told me that the only primers they recommend were the Federal Mag Rifle and the CCI mag rifle. I've been using them since with no complaints. I anneal and trim every 5 loadings.
  • Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    Don't overlook Retumbo in a cartridge of that capacity.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I don't use it for target, but it's been rebarreled with a short freebore, so loads are considerably less, more akin to 300 Win Mag, while chronographs show velocities similar to what I used to get with the original made in USA barrel; but I like 180 gr bullets with H4831 and Fed 215 primers.