In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

powder question

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
I started reloading late this spring and noticed something strange:

I am using hogdon titegroup and CCI primers to reload .45 ACP,
my rounds are now extremely dirty. I haven't had to clean that much carbon out of my gun and off my hands since I used Wolf ammo.

Is titegroup just a dirty powder or am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Who makes a powder named XMP 5744 it is listed in my speer #13 manual but I cant find anyone that has used it ...... any help would be appreciated..

Thanks David.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What powder does Hornady use in the 7mm factory loads? Or what would best duplicate it?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is there such a thing as a universal powder for 38,41 and 44? Trying to keep the powder selection down to the basics if possible. I currently have H110, unique and 2400 on hand. Thanks.

Todd
  • Options
    edited November -1
    When you finish loading for a day or two, How long do you leave the powder in the dispenser. I have a lock and load hornady press with an auto powder feeder and was wondering how long i can lleave the powder in it. Sometimes i load a few then quit for a few days because of my health. thanks
    JW
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Would someone please recommend a powder that would be serviceable for both 9mm and 45acp, and another that would be serviceable for both .223 and .308?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I haven't started to reload yet but have most of the equipment. With the equipment I bought I recieved 3 cans of IMR-4831. I was reading an old Lyman book (copyright 1982) and couldn't find any referance to this powder. I have another reloading book but haven't had time to get to it. Is this a newer powder ? I'm thinking of loading 22 Hornet, 222, 223, 257, 308 and 7mm Mag. Is there an "interchange" or cross referance for powder.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Are IMR4350 and H4350 the same powder.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hello, i have a few cans of older powder and was trying to fiqure out the particulars on them, like what this powder should be use for. have one can of hercules 2400. on the can is says rifle powder, although someone told me that this is for pistols? got one can of dupont SR-4756, and a can of SR-7625. not sure if these powders are still available. if not, what might they be eqivilant to todays powder?
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not if you want your Magnums at full power.
    Unique will do all that a .38 can do, but you need something slower for magnums.
    H110 for high velocity with little room for adjustment, 2400 if you want to tinker.
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For light loads yet having a full case of powder, Trail Boss works very well with cast bullets.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unique is a "go to" all purpose, works well in just about anything powder. A full charge of Unique will make the calibers you use bark just fine. You can also load them down for plinking with the same powder.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not much experience with a 41 but Unique in the 38 and 44 works fine. I don't enjoy full tilt Unique 44 Mag loads as they have sharper felt recoil to me. I never liked H110. 2400 is ok, so is 4227 but I like BlueDot the best after I ran out of the original 5744.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Unique and lead bullets just go together [;)]
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For light loads, I use TiteGroup in all calibers. For hot magnum loads, I use H110. The in between stuff depends on what I have on hand. Since I quit reloading shotgun shells, I've been utilizing the powders I had for that use(BlueDot ,WW 540, Herco). I just got resupplied with AA#7 which is my go to powder for medium loads in 357 and full power 9x19.
  • Options
    Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the 3 you have will do just fine,anything else is just tinkering...not that tinkering with other powders is a bad thing. lol
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I suppose at least someone should ask: .38, .41, and .44 WHAT? Everyone is assuming you mean .38 special, .41 magnum, and .44 magnum, but there are many cartridges with each of those calibers.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    Not if you want your Magnums at full power.
    Unique will do all that a .38 can do, but you need something slower for magnums.
    H110 for high velocity with little room for adjustment, 2400 if you want to tinker.

I use nothing but unique in all my magnum revolvers. What is a better powder. I have great results with unique on deer and bears. I mostly shoot my 41 magnum and some 44 magnum revolvers.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unique is fuel efficient in a 44 magnum, but it has a lot sharper felt recoil to me. My hands will not take more than a box or so at a time. The old style 5744 was favorite. I went to Blue Dot next and can due 500 rounds at a session, usually without major issues. I like 2400 and 4227 also. Didn't like 296 or H110.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1