In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

varget vs, IMR4064

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
It looks as if the 2 powders are pretty close. Anyone tried both, thoughts? 22-250, 6.5 Creedmoor and a few others.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think they are really close, these days I would take which ever one I could get.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used both IMR 4064 and Vargent! (I load for accuracy)
    I never could just simply choose ONE powders. (always had to test both)

I keep IMR4064 around and it has produced excellent accuracy in some calibers such as 270's and 243's with 26 inch wimpy tapered custom barrels when other powders just would not produce good accuracy.
    IMR4064 is usually very consistent, if it produces good accuracy, it remains stable and if a barrel don't like IMR4064 it's immediately noticeable on paper target. I've seen IMR4064 produce excellent accuracy when other powders just would not cut the mustard, but I've also seen very few barrels that actually really liked the 4064. It's my go to powder when I see a barrel producing erratic accuracy with the other powders.

I've found that Varget in some guns will kinda go astray for accuracy and had to look for other powder loads.

Summary: You never know until you TEST the powders. That is one reason why I reload.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used IMR-4064 in my 22-250. I could not find an inaccurate load with it,from minimum to maximum.

I have also used it for my 25 WSSM for downloaded rounds formy son and wife to practice with. No issues there either

I keep meaning to try Varget, but have not gotten around to it yet.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like to think of IMR4064 as the original broad spectrum rifle powder.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I prefer 4064 slightly. But I prefer both to 4895 for all but one or two applications.