In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.243 sizing problems

TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
I have been handloading over 30 years and I still have an issue with .243. I am using the Hornaday New Dimention dies, Hornaday wax lube, and tried the RCBS lube/pad and still having troubles getting the case out of the die.

I have:
1. Cleaned the die
2. Brass is polished and shiney
3. Mica used inside the neck of the case
4. Inside of die looks fine
5. Set up the die correctly
6. Mandrel looks and feels smooth

It's really hard to get the case into the die and VERY difficult to get it out. I feel it's about to tear the case in half or get it stuck.
I load 12 other calibers and never have this problem.
Brass is 1 time fired in my Browning A Bolt, and I use an RCBS Rockchucker and RCBS shellholders. Winchester and Federal brass both being the same issue.

What am I missing?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Will the un-sized brass go back into the rifle easily? Have you measured the brass before sizing and after? I like the Redding Sizing Die Wax for tough jobs. The Lee lube in the white and red plastic tube is good. I use it applied to the inside of case necks lightly with a q-tip.

Are you full length or neck sizing, cases are the correct length?

I'm leaning towards an out of spec sizing die, (it does rarely happen), got a buddy with a 243 die set you can try.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds to me like your rifles chamber is on the very high side of the tolerance in diameter and your die may be on the low side. A neck (only) sizer die may work for you. I would probably try to borrow a different sizer to see if that would work better.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm full length sizing and the Browning rifle has a tight chamber, I know.
    I can put each fired case back into the chamber no problem.
    Chamber is good, maybe only 40 rounds thru it, and the die is very clean and polished fairly well. The cases have been trimmed and chamfered, and are all tumbled and polished.

I just spoke with Hornaday and they asked me to send it in with a couple of fired cases for repair/replacement.

I paid extra for this die, so I don't plan to scrap it or have to buy another set.
    I just haven't seen an issue like this, usually just procedural errors and lube issues.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think they will make it right. I was only suggesting trying a different die because I could ask a buddy for a set and have an answer in hours instead of days.

If you reload enough odd problems do turn up.

I had a 700 Remington varmint special in 223. Shot factory Remington ammo better than I could it. Tried to reload for it. 3 sets of dies in 5 different presses using every bullet, powder, and primer available. Never got close to the factory ammo accuracy. I gave that rifle away (to a buddy that didn't mind buying ammo for it even thought he was reloader also).
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I'd overlube 1 case with the RCBS lube to the point that you get the hydraulic dents in the shoulder. If it still sizes with this much difficulty, you have a faulty die.

Heck, you can easily form wildcats when lubed properly, Chamber size (fired brass dimensions) should not matter.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I did overlube as a check, pulled the die apart, and everything else I could think of. Set it back up and still no go.
    Insider brass drops in the chamber.
    I felt like I was going to break my press or table!

Hornaday will be getting it shipped back tomorrow.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Imperial sizing wax. If that does not work you have a die or chamber issue.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    borrow a different die and size a case from that chamber. If all goes smoothly, it is most likely a die issue.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Topkick
    I have been handloading over 30 years and I still have an issue with .243. I am using the Hornaday New Dimention dies, Hornaday wax lube, and tried the RCBS lube/pad and still having troubles getting the case out of the die.

I have:
    1. Cleaned the die
    2. Brass is polished and shiney
    3. Mica used inside the neck of the case
    4. Inside of die looks fine
    5. Set up the die correctly
    6. Mandrel looks and feels smooth

It's really hard to get the case into the die and VERY difficult to get it out. I feel it's about to tear the case in half or get it stuck.
    I load 12 other calibers and never have this problem.
    Brass is 1 time fired in my Browning A Bolt, and I use an RCBS Rockchucker and RCBS shellholders. Winchester and Federal brass both being the same issue.

What am I missing?
    Got away from Hornady for that reason. Went back to the Rcbs dies and had no problems what so ever
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hornaday has had the die for a week.
    I expect a new one, or repaired in 2 more weeks.

I bought a Lee die set, working perfectly for me in the meantime.

I has to be the die.

Anyway, I'll have 2 sets or sell one when I recieve the Hornaday back.

No one else I know loads .243 so I have no comparison, so like I said, I just bought another.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'll bet I have at least 10 brands of dies. Some calibers I have more than one set. Each rifle has it own set of dies.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had same problem with a set of 243 dies.

Have two RCBS 243 dies sets and one full length sizing dies sticks the 243 case and the other operates ok. Both were used sets when I acquired them. Was pleasantly surprised when the 2nd die worked ok.
    I tried thourghly cleaning the sticky die, different lubes etc, and no go. The die looks ok when inspected inside.???

I need to return the sticky bad one to RCBS for lifetime warranty replacement.

Summary: Things like this will happen when you reload.