In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Activ Hulls

jerrymacjerrymac Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
I,m trying to reload some Activ yellow 20ga hulls with 23/4 18.5 with 1oz W-28 green dot, win 209. The problem is that the sides bulges out at the bottom and in the middle of the wad when I put it in the hull. Any help will do. The booklet says this is the right wads for this hull.
It like the wads are to big for the hulls.

Comments

• Options
    GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure what the exact problem is but most presses have adjustments for wad pressure and crimp depth and taper. If you have a MEC reloader, you can get the instruction sheets online and they explain what to adjust for which particular problem you have. They have photos to show you the proper way to adjust your press to individual hulls.
  • Options
    swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you using 12 gauge wads?
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To load correctly, those Activ shells need brand specific wads IIRC. I loaded quite a few 12 gauge with AA wads but the 20's were a problem. I think I got some of the right wads before they disappeared. Otherwise, it's a trial and error or maybe cork and fiber.
  • Options
    20gabob20gabob Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have loaded many an Activ 20 ga Yellow brassless hull for pheasant hunting and never had any problems. But I was using a different powder and wad than you. I always liked a 27.5 gr Win 571-Win209-WinAA20F1 and 1 oz of magnum 5 or 6 shot for them. Would work for any shot size tho. Velocity is around 1200 fps and load was listed in the Lyman shotshell reloading handbook #4.
    I know that Win 571 and Win AA
  • Options
    20gabob20gabob Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    are now discontinued, but you may still be able to find some to use. I know that I still have a bunch of that powder and wads so I won't run out in my lifetime probably. Sorry for the 2 part reply but my puter just quit on me in mid sentence. Oh by the way that load can also be used with the Rem Sp 20 wad safely.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First I think Activ is crappy ammo and cases.

My 4th edition Lyman ShotShell Reloading manual doesn't list green dot for active cases. For your wad Activ W-28 they list 19.5 gr 800X; 26.5 gr Blue Dot; 28.5 gr 571 all with 1 oz. of shot and a Win 209 primer.

When they changed Win AA cases to the ones marked HS the wads for the older AA cases do exactly what you describe. That info isn't in the book. I found that out reloading 20 gauge AA's for a friend. Took a while to track down cases without the HS on the head stamp.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never used Activ anything, but if your getting bulging look to see if your wad pressure it too much. You maybe getting it too deep.
  • Options
    jerrymacjerrymac Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for all the info, in the Activ booklet it says w-28 is for 20ga hulls, but it bulges as it goes in the hulls. Well I will try some federal walls thy say they work better just don't now which one.