In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New to reloading

Frost49Frost49 Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
I've been shooting on a limited basis for years and now getting into reloading. I have a turret press, die sets for both size ammo I will be loading, and a scale (all a gift). Were can I get a good book with illistrations, and a source of reference to begin the process. I'm mechanically inclinded but have even seen someone reload before. If there is a total beginning I'm starting there.

thanks for the help
Oh and I'll be loading ACP.45 and ruger .480 if that helps.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I'm just starting into pistol ammo reloading...How does one determine the number of times brass can be reloaded? Standard powder charges...Nothing 'hot' or 'wildcat'.

Thanks
    Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i am thinking of starting to reload. I dont know what i will need i found this and am planning on getting it what else will i need?

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25237/catid/1/Dillon_Square_Deal___039_B__039_

thanks for your time
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thinking of getting into reloading my own cartridges and doing some research on GB, but no idea where to start. I have 7.62x54r, and if I end up liking it will want to be able to branch out to different calibers. Any tips on where to start? Books to read? Suggested starter kits. Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have been given a complete reloading setup in .45ACP. Now all I need is pointed in the right direction in getting bullets. Just looking for some can shooting plinker rounds made of lead. 225 grain would be about where I would think I need to be. If not feel free to educate me. I have a source of brass and primers are easy to find.

Thanks for any help for a newbie trying his hand at cutting costs to continue to shoot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    retired, plenty of time, small farm, 25 & 100 yd range, small shop,
    use lee challanger for basic, & lee c frame to seat bullets. hand dip each case, use hp38 powder for 5 handgun cal. use h4895 for 3 mil surplus cal. keep it simple stupid! also cast lead bullets for same. do any other reloaders follow a routine like this?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am molding my own lead bullets, There is a grooved ring all the way around the base. Is there something that should fill it? The lead is already lubed and sized. Have seen some lead bullets with a waxy type substance in this groove before.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How do you know how to adjust the dies? There is a collar adjustment on most, what is the proper way to set these up and adjust them correctly?
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    Frost, I buy most of my cast and plated bullets from Xtreme Bullets in Carson City, they make some great stuff and I have found all of it to be very accurate, they have both a 230gr and 255gr cast plus 9 different plated bullets that would work perfect for your needs, look them up here:

http://www.xtremebullets.com/
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are feeding an autoloader such as a 1911, my favorite reliable feeder is the Lyman 452374 around 225 gr.. Lubed with 50/50 alox/beeswax cast on the hard side. I'm running W231 these days but you use what you can find these days.

If you run a single stage press, your loading block is your friend. I use a powder measure to throw the charge or a dipper. Charge the whole block then inspect carefully under a good light to make sure you haven't double charged a case, before you start seating bullets. Make sure the cast bullets have a grease free base (wipe on some newspaper or a cloth) before seating. Before you load a jillion, test fire some in your firearm.
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Berry's bullets
  • Options
    edited November -1
    THanks all. This should get me started down the right path.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FIRST get one or more good loading manuals. +1 on Berry's Bullets. I have been using Gil's bullets since he was casting them out of a plumber's pot in a quonset hut in Fontana, CA 40 years ago. The powder shortage will limit your options, but you should be able to find something that works out of the many powders that work in the ACP case with the 200-230 grain bullets.