In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

light 38 special loads (125gr)

mstrblastermstrblaster Member Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
I came across a large box of 125 gr lead bullets I was going to load for my 38 special. Has anyone got a load they have used? The only thing I can find is for Jacketed Bullets.

I use Win 231 and it lists 3.8 as a starting load. I was thinking of starting off with 3.6 gr. Any thoughts??

Thanks
To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go out into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness, how cheap, how cowardly, how pathetic. Ted Nugent.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    120 gr cast Lyman 356242, 231 3.4 gr 693 fps 8,800 CUP; 5.1 gr 986 fps 16600 CUP from the Lyman loading manual.
  • Options
    mstrblastermstrblaster Member Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks!! You'd know I only have a couple of old Hornady, and a couple of even older Speer loading manuals.....

I appreciate it!
    To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go out into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness, how cheap, how cowardly, how pathetic. Ted Nugent.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

If you click on pistol, select 38 Special, click 125 gr, check all the powders then get data. At the bottom right there is a + for lead if you click that more data appear for lead bullets.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    " I only have a couple of old Hornady, and a couple of even older Speer loading manuals"
    Nothing personal but, do yourself a favor and buy a couple of newly published manuals. I was just perusing a couple of "older manuals" last night looking for some vintage info and noticed some serious differences in data between 1995 and now. Yes, I know lawyers and courts have caused most of it but living in the past can be painful.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    " I only have a couple of old Hornady, and a couple of even older Speer loading manuals"
    Nothing personal but, do yourself a favor and buy a couple of newly published manuals. I was just perusing a couple of "older manuals" last night looking for some vintage info and noticed some serious differences in data between 1995 and now. Yes, I know lawyers and courts have caused most of it but living in the past can be painful.

I've noticed that max loading data for some of the old cartridges has come down quite a bit over the past 50 years, and part of it is no doubt in the recognition that the guns that a lot of the data is used in, are now 50 years older. Eventually, everything must find a place on the wall.
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use a manual recipe or throw the bullets away! Dont be foolish, using hand me down recipes are an invitation to trouble at best, or an early meeting with your maker.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I use Win 231 and it lists 3.8 as a starting load. I was thinking of starting off with 3.6 gr. Any thoughts??

My first thought is, do not undercut the starting load. 3.8 grains is little enough; I use 4.3.

My second thought is to load to the specified OAL or to the OAL that the crimp groove on a cast bullet sets you up for. The only reload I have ever stuck a bullet with, I loaded some 125s to the same OAL as 158s which left a lot more air space. The primer flash had a hard time reaching the powder.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    I load up about 3000 125gr RNFP's for myself and my extended family every year, the load is always 4.2gr of Unique, very soft shooting and very accurate.

That reminds me, I have another 1000 I need to load for my sister...