In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Subsonic 5.56

bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
Anyone have a reliable recipe that will cycle an AR?

Comments

• Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    Primer only (no powder)??
    Other than that, I got nuttin'.....sorry
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Engel Ballistics {google their web site} makes a subsonic 5.56 round that will function a M4 with a can on it.
    ONLY sold to the Military!!!
    Most that try to reload for subsonic and with a can on the gun, find that the bullets ruin the baffles. The bullets need "more" time to stabilize, when they leave the bore they are yawning and hitting the baffles.
  • Options
    ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wanted man

Don't try it.

Won't cycle, and guaranteed to get the bullet stuck in the bore.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would say a heavy cast bullet should, might, maybe could work if shot at SS speeds but why not just use a standard velocity 22 LR and a suppressor?

The MV needs to be kept under 1075 FPS to work and I doubt you could ever get it to cycle a gas operated gun.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    I would say a heavy cast bullet should, might, maybe could work if shot at SS speeds but why not just use a standard velocity 22 LR and a suppressor?

The MV needs to be kept under 1075 FPS to work and I doubt you could ever get it to cycle a gas operated gun.

Check with JD Jones at SSK Industries, he has a modification to the gas system that can be switched from sub sonic to full velocity with full cycling function.
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zinderbloc
    quote:Originally posted by wanted man

Don't try it.

Won't cycle, and guaranteed to get the bullet stuck in the bore.

No worries, I know better...'sides, I don't "do" Sub-sonic........but thanks for lookin' out [;)]