In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A question about annealing......

guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
I read through all the annealing threads I could find, but did not see the answer.

Should I anneal before or after sizing?

What do the experienced annealers do?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before works for me.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before sizing. To prevent split necks from whatever you are doing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok.

Do you foresee me having any problems if I annealed after sizing? Assuming, of course, that they chamber fine.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Purpose of annealing is to remove work hardening in the brass. Makes it less brittle. Annealing AFTER sizing serves no real purpose.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    Purpose of annealing is to remove work hardening in the brass. Makes it less brittle. Annealing AFTER sizing serves no real purpose.

I get that....I am try to stretch out the life of the brass.

It has been fired four times already.

I really had not planned to do it. I was bored and thought I'd try it with my most fired brass.

It should make the brass softer for the next several firing/sizings, no?

I know some BR guys anneal after every firing....I am not a BR guy....I'm just trying to make the brass last longer.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I anneal every four to five firings. I anneal after sizing but don't see what harm it does to do it either way.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    I anneal every four to five firings. I anneal after sizing but don't see what harm it does to do it either way.

That's what I was thinking, Bruce. I was just wondering what you guys ,with more experience than me, think.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    an annealing machine I made from a bathroom exhaust fan motor and a rheostat. The "collets" were machined from aluminum bar stock as a machine shop for the casehead dia of the .223/.308/magnum cases

101_0826.jpg

101_0829.jpg

101_0828.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    JustC.....I saw that on another "annealing" thread. Very nice, but I am not that high tech, yet.

I am using a stationary torch with the case in a socket chucked into a drill. It is slow, but as a beginner, I think that may be best.

I do like your set up though.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by guntech59
    JustC.....I saw that on another "annealing" thread. Very nice, but I am not that high tech, yet.

I am using a stationary torch with the case in a socket chucked into a drill. It is slow, but as a beginner, I think that may be best.

I do like your set up though.

it isn't really complicated,..it is a dimmer switch and fart fan motor from home depot. The rest is scrap wood and a can of spray paint that was laying around. It beats paying for the Ken Light machine[;)]