In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lee decapping die trouble.

I bought a set of Lee 380 acp dies & went to deprime the brass. Well the pin keeps popping up, I've adjusted the pin & tightened the top nut as tight as I can. Is it a defective die or am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    are you sure your brass is 'boxer' primed? my lee dis have to have the top lock nut very tight to prevent pin 'slipage', this takes 2 wrenches.
  • Options
    casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    are you sure your brass is 'boxer' primed? my lee dis have to have the top lock nut very tight to prevent pin 'slipage', this takes 2 wrenches.

+1
    also is the pin straight?
    have you managed to decap any?
    I will occasionally need to rotate the brass.
  • Options
    D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1

yes they are boxer primed winchester brass matter of fact. I had to use 2 wrenches (1/2 & 3/4) as well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by casper1947

+1
    also is the pin straight?
    have you managed to decap any?
    I will occasionally need to rotate the brass.

yes its straight, looks like my other ones. I did manage to get 2 popped out.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You are using the 380 ACP shellholder (LEE #4)?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by casper1947
    You are using the 380 ACP shellholder (LEE #4)?

yes
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well nuts. It may be defective.

If i were in this position i would try using a larger (pistol) die just to see if it would work.

If you have another size you could try swapping the pins & lock nut.

These pins need to be real tight. actually tighter than that. I use 2 6~8" wrenches for leverage.

This has happened to me but it turned out that i cleaned the brass and there was a piece of the walnut media in the primer hole.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure what is up but I bet Lee will help you fix the issue.

http://leeprecision.net/support/index.php?/Tickets/Submit/RenderForm/4
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    I'm not sure what is up but I bet Lee will help you fix the issue.

http://leeprecision.net/support/index.php?/Tickets/Submit/RenderForm/4

I sent one in earlier. [:p]
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My experience with the LEE indicates that you may have better results if you degrease the depriming stem and inside the colt that holds it. Carefully put a little grease on the outside threaded part only reassemble. Two things cause the depriming stem to fail to hold and this procedure takes care of both. When tightening the collet, it's best if you align the stem by using a deprimed case in the shell holder in the raised position.
    You may have an alignment problem not related to the die.
    Worst case scenario, chuck the stem in a drill and spin it against some 200 grit emery cloth to rough it a little(just the area which is held by the collet).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Been a busy week & this is the first chance I had to update my die problem. Lee sent me a new nut & pin, that seemed to be the problem. It now pops them out with no trouble. Thanks for all the help trying to figure it out.
  • Options
    bear bruinbear bruin Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    maybe the flash holes are off center. had that with some cbc brass and an old set of dies that broke the decaping pin off.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Decapping pins used to regularly bend or break.
    Times have changed and Lee decapper pins never seem to break.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    Decapping pins used to regularly bend or break.
    Times have changed and Lee decapper pins never seem to break.
    This. I don't know how many decapping pins I have snapped and how many center rods I have bent from RCBS, Lyman, and Hornady over the years, but enough to keep a pile on hand. Lee? Never breaks. With their supposedly 'cheap' dies.

I had a few that had the issue you describe. I just popped it in the drill press, and put a retaining pin through it (albeit, that defeats the purpose of the Lee collet decapping system)... seemed worst with the 30/40 than anything, who knows. For under $30 you can afford to just buy a whole new die set if Lee doesn't make it right (which is RARE).