In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

44 mag. rifle

Just started to reload the 44 mag 240 gr JSP, for hunting deer. I Plan on using this round in a Ruger44/77 bolt action. I'm using a standered Winchester primer and 23gr of the IMR 4227 power. It seems that it is not a very accurate round at 50 yds. Just wondering if any one has any ideas or suggestions on making this a little bit better (accurate)round.[:(!]

Comments

• Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    4227 might be a little slow for the cartridge/bullet. I shoot the 44 in handguns, so it may vary from rifles, but I get the best result in both velocity and accuracy with 2400 or 296.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Start with the rifle. Is the bore clean and free of built up copper or lead? If its a new rifle it needs a few boxes of shells/cleaning to break it in. Are the action screws tight, same for the sight(s). The crown of the barrel looks correct, no dings or dents?

I never liked 4227 in a 44 mag. BlueDot is what I use currently. 2400 was ok, the old 5744 was my favorite.

Could you give us a rough group size at 50 yards, golf ball - 7" paper plate.

You have shot other rifles with similar sights at similar distances and shot with acceptable accuracy?

You have reload ammo for other firearms with your equipment and shot it with acceptable resulting accuracy?

Just trying to help sort out the variables for acceptable accuracy; could be the: loading equipment, components, ammo configuration, rifle or You.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I used H-110 or 2400 in my loads. They have good accuracy out my rifles and hand guns.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try 2400 powder. I had disappointing accuracy with 4227 in 44 mags.
  • Options
    hogdowghogdowg Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I went out and tried a couple different load charges, on the lower end of the spectrum with the same results. The grouping is from 5 inches to 6 inch groups. with some right in the middle and some cutting the same hole. It seem like the first shoot is right on and then the next one is off and no real pattern, but all stay in that same five to six inch group. I just made up some more rounds at the hottest range for the IMR4227 at 24.2grs. C.O.L 1.600" with a 1/4 crimp. fixing to go and try them out. Hopping for better results this time. The gun is brand new with only approximately 100 rounds threw it, all is tite along with the new Simmons 44 mag scope. Yes I have reloaded hundreds of thousands of rounds with this equipment with very good results. Just haven't had much experience reloading pistol round for a rifle. I'm use to being able to really dial my hunting round in to zero and hold a tite pattern. Thanks for all your responses, keep them coming as I really need to get this one figured out.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    AS has been said, I don't think much of the powder your using, for a 44 mag. As noted, 2400, 296 & H110 are what I use, with good results over a lot of years.
    2400 is dirty, but it is what works in my old Ruger Deerstalker Carbine. I load mostly H110 or 296 in my Smith 29s and Colt Anaconda.
    I think your beating a dead horse, trying to get accuracy out of IMR4227 in a 44 Mag.
    W.D.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yep your rifle should shoot better than that. I would be using Shooter's Choice and JB Bore Paste. I think the bore should be ironed in soon, another box or 2 should do it.

I'm not sure I would crimp the bullets in a bolt gun. You have a lot more options than using the cannelure.

I run mostly CCI large pistol primers with cast bullets Lyman 429421 in the wheel guns and Saeco 240g round nose in my 94AE. The SWC will function in the lever gun but not as nicely as the round nose, plus with the RN it will hold 10 instead of only 9.

I also didn't like H110 but 296 was ok.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For me good old H110 for rifle loads, Unique for handgun target-plinking loads.
    (Unique works in rifles as well, but the H-110 gives better velocity and accuracy results in my 1894 Trapper. )
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What do you mean the bore may be a little large. I just made 10 rounds trying it with out the 1/4 crimp, maybe this will make the difference. If this doesn't work I will switch over to a defendant power. Maybe someone has reloaded rounds for the 77/44 Ruger bolt action 44 mag.using the 240 gr JSP Montana Gold projectile,and could give me a real detailed recipe to include case length, type of primer and (mag or standard), crimp or no crimp, what's the best power to include the grs. and the C.O.L length. This INFO would be great. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007

I also didn't like H110 but 296 was ok.

?????????????????????????????????????????????

It's the same powder.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The H110 way back then was surplus powder, the W296 was much fresher production.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Did not get to try the round out yet, it was a little to windy this afternoon. I'm going to try first thing in the a.m. I will up date after then. Keep the responses coming. Thanks for all the input.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    YOU MIGHT WANT TO TRY A DIFFERENT WEIGHT BULLET ALSO (180, 225) THE NEW HORNADY LEVEREVOLUTION WOULD BE MY 1ST CHOICE.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have ANY other pistol powders available, Unique, Blue Dot, Green Dot, Herco or even bullseye I would load a few rounds as a control load.

It may well be a busted scope, Simmons scopes are about the bottom of the barrel when it comes to scope quality and you may have a busted one.

If you still get lousy groups with a different powder I would switch scopes or even shoot it iron sights to see if the groups improve. Lots of loads get blamed for lousy accuracy when it is equipment failure.

With all that said I still never had any luck with 4227 in the 44 mag but Lord knows I tried every thing from 215 cast to the venerable 429421 and several jacketed bullets from 180-260 grains. Never did get 4227 loads to come close to 2400 or Blue Dot. It was a lot of shooting to burn up the 2 pounds of it I bought, most of the shooting was a waste of lead. [xx(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am willing to try theses bullets but I really need to make sure of the best powder to be using and match it with the right primer. There is just so many variables. Just need to get it all together to make that perfect hunting round for this rifle. I'm willing, just need the nonage on this one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ya, I had the IMR 4227 in stock, that's way I'm trying it . I'm finding out now it might not be the best choice. Thanks for the response. I need all the help I can get on this one.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost

It may well be a busted scope, Simmons scopes are about the bottom of the barrel when it comes to scope quality and you may have a busted one.

If you still get lousy groups with a different powder I would switch scopes or even shoot it iron sights to see if the groups improve. Lots of loads get blamed for lousy accuracy when it is equipment failure.

That was also my thought, just the mention that some of the shots were on top of each other before the POI shifted. Check the tightness of your rings and bases as well as try to test the rifle with a different scope.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wish I could offer some bright ideas but I've just started working with one of the new production 77/44's and, so far, have had even worse luck than yours. My "best" groups have been with 2400 and 180 gr. Remington HP and average 8.33" @ 100 yds.! My Blackhawks shoot that well with iron sights! The little carbine has a 4X Redfield. 240 gr. JHP and the Lyman #429244 shoot a good bit worse. I have an older (pre AE) Winchester 94 that groups the Lyman bullet with 2400 into 6.6" @ 100 yds. using the iron sights. I'm satisfied with that. I also have a Remington 788 with a Tasco 4X. It averages 2.78" with the 180 gr. Rem. HP load, and 3.53" with the Lyman load. Best groups for the 788 are with Hornady 240 JHP and W296 @ 2.46.

The only thing I would suggest is that you try some factory 240's. I intend to do that if I can find some. My records show that 240 gr. Remington SP factory loads grouped the best in the Win. 94. Good luck!
  • Options
    Mark TMark T Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I load for a S&W629, Ruger SRH, Marlin 1894 and Ruger s/a carbine. I use 240gr exclusively and W296 is my all time favorite. I have had good luck with 2400, but it is a bit dirtier. The only one with a scope is the Super Redhawk. The 2 rifles wear Williams peeps and the 629 is standard sights. Accuracy is excellent in all of them. With the rifles I can hold nice groups from a good bench and rest @100yds. The SRH will empty the cylinder in the same hole at 40yds if I do my part. Good luck, I have wanted one of those little bolt actions to play with. 44 mag is one of my favorites to load and shoot
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the load info. I will be trying the Winchester powder out next, as it is another favorite of mine. I changed out the mounts,rings and scope and I'm going to start out trying my final test rounds out on Saturday. I will update all info asap after this test. Thanks again for all the input and please keep the replies coming in, lord knows I need all the help I can get with this one.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was range day again today and I took along the little 77/44. I took my own advice and located some factory 240 gr. loads. They are Federal JHP's that they call "personal defense" cartridges. Two 5-shot groups averaged 3.38" @ 100 yds. That's a LOT better than my 2400 reloads. Of course at $1.75 per shot, a 5-shot group adds up! Average velocity was 1640 fps per my Oehler. I wasn't sure whether to be pleased that the little gun shot better or disappointed that my loads didn't. So I tried another load that my 788 shot OK with; 240 Hornady JHP and 24.5 gr. of Lil'gun powder. Group was 3.56" @ 100 and velocity was 1914 fps. I think the Ruger doesn't like Remington bullets. I've got Hornadys and Sierras and I'll try W296 and H110 (I know they are supposed to be the same). I think this gun will shoot even better when I get the right combination. 3.5" groups @ 100 are probably as good as needed for deer hunting, but I'm going to see if it will do better.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, I spent a lot of time and money on this one and hears what I ended up doing. First,I changed the scope and mounts. I put a Leupold VX2-7x33mm with the Weaver mount and rings to match. I then changed to the W296 powder, 240gr. Montana Gold JSP, WLP primer, case trim length 1.275" with a 1/4 crimp (C.O.L. 1.586"). I tried many different powder variations. I found that my 77/44 rifle really liked the 23.0gr combo. It was grouping 3" at 50yds and putting many in the same hole. At 75yds same group and only dropped 1 inch and at 100yds same group but dropped 2.5 inches. I am very happy with these results and feel this combination will work great this deer hunting season, as most of my shoots will be within 75yds. The more I shoot this rifle the more confident I become. I hope the info listed will save someone else a lot of time and money, when it comes to getting started. Please reply with any other info or if anyone has something they would like to add. Thanks again for all the people that responded, as this is what helped me the most.
  • Options
    McDAccountantMcDAccountant Member Posts: 466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost

This.

I had a Simmons scope that came on a Savage rifle and it wouldn't hold zero for squirt. Changed the scope and started getting sub 1" groups @ 100 yards.
  • Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    I used H-110 or 2400 in my loads. They have good accuracy out my rifles and hand guns.

+1 on the H-110. 26 grains pushing a 240 grain XTP is a hot load for the Super Redhawk and the Deerfield Carbine. Good consistent accuarcy and penetration.

Don
  • Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    for what its worth, back in the 80's I used to load for the ruger 44 semi auto carbine,
    I used 240 grain winchester keith style lead with a gas check, long discontinued, but with a max load of ww296 and mag primers which at the time was, IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY 24 gr, It was super accurate out of both my SBH and carbine.
    I had tried several other weights and types of bullets, and different loads etc, none were better then the winchester/keith style bullet. I think the lead gas check engaged the rifling better. A recovered fired bullet showed very good,deep engraved rifling.
    It was a great hunting load and took down a large black bear at 150 plus yards.
    If you can find ww296 and a good 240 grain keith style lead gas checked bullet I think you might have a winner .
  • Options
    llama girlllama girl Member Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 2400 and 300 grain jacketed hollow points. I don't have my specs in front of me but there is a load that works in both revolver and Ruger Carbine.
  • Options
    44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hogdowg,
    I shot both a 44 lever action rifle and a ruger redhawk. Most loading manuals list 44 mag rifle loads as well. Myself since I shot both I wanted a load I could use in both. If you compare the loads from both the rifle and pistol in your manuals. The rifle uses only loads such as h110 or 296 and as high powered as possible. Remember a pistol round that has to travel out a rifle is going to need something extra. One of my favorite loads is h110 with 23.6 grans with a 240gran jhp traveling at 1425 in a pistol and when shot out of a rifle you add 400 fps or 1825. A accurate load in both pistol and rifle. Don't take my word for it review 44 mag rifle data and u will see the recommend only fast powders and high end loads. Good luck and have fun!
  • Options
    44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One more thing no lead in a rifle like that way to much speed and pressure. jhp or xtp is all I shoot.