In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Oversize Primer

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
I was seating Remington 9 1/2M primers with the RCBS bench tool when one of them refused to drop into the cup that is around the seating stem. I tried to put it in there with my fingers but it just sat on top. So finally, I measured it with the mike: it's .213 while several others in the same box mike .210! That's a first for me in 56 years of reloading. Some brands of primers are larger than others and seat with difficulty; the CCI in the older green/white/black sleeves seated hard and I still have some Winchester 8 1/2-120 in the yellow sleeves that seat hard. But this is the first time I've encountered a single odd oversize primer in a box.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quality control isn't what was. The again one oddball in many 1000's is a low %. In nearly 50 years of reloading I have had a few dud's. Ever since the first run on ammo the dud rate on 22 RF has sure wet up.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I used to use whatever primers the load books called for, and then I got a smokin' deal on 10,000 Rem 9 1/2M primers.
    I loaded up a box of 50 300WM using 72.3gr. H4350 & some Sciroccos and headed to the range.
    Not One of those primers went off when the trigger was pulled!
    They all took a second, or a few seconds to light up the powder.
    These were brand new primers from a real-live gun store in their original packaging, and the bargain I got was that the owner had ordered twice as many as he would have sold in 5 years.
    I've been reloading almost 50 years, and never had a batch of hangfires like that before or since.
    This wasn't in the midst of the Y2K bug, or the recent multiple hoarder's sprees; this was pre-9/11, but post Reagan.

Never bought another Remington product.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I've become leery of anything 'Remington', ammunition-wise. It started with .22RF's, which I at first wrote off as an anomaly, thinking that even a maker whose products that I had no complaints about for 40 years, could produce a marginal run of something once in a while. But the 'marginal' went to sub-marginal, and then to friggin' horrible, and has stayed there. Any Remington 22RF's that I bought, 'Golden' bullets, unplated varieties, or whatever, all did the same thing: a magazine full would get you Bang...Poof...Pop...Bang...(Click)...Piff...Bang. Pulling down live rounds revealed no priming compound in rim sections of some of them, but I think there may have been problems with the priming composition itself, perhaps with the powder as well, resulting in the erratic performance when they actually did fire. Long story short, it has become Winchester/Federal City, regarding 22RF's. When I bought a couple of boxes of Remington 30-06's in undamaged glue-sealed boxes and found two crushed rounds, it was goodnight, Remington, for any ammo at all.