In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

citric acid brass cleaner

nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
anybody use citric acid and water to clean brass? Heard about it and was wondering if members had any home remedy recipes?

I was thinking lemon/lime juice or possibly vinegar?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I would be very careful with any kind of acid . Acid and any metal that that acid would react on + high pressure is IMHO an accident waiting to happen. YMMV
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The steel pin wet tumbler mix is Dawn dish detergent and Lemishine additive which is mostly citric acid.
    Some people are just soaking their brass in that combination without tumbling. It doesn't take much, a dash of Dawn and half a teaspoon of Lemishine to a gallon.

Actual citrus juices are too dilute and too expensive and vinegar is acetic acid, not citric. Vinegar has been used, though, with salt in the mix.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I remember a guy on the cast boolit forum who knows more about chemistry than I, describing what happens and that it doesn't harm the brass or weaken it.

I bought 5 pounds of citric acid powder from fleabay. Lifetime supply, under twenty bucks. Plus I can use it in winemaking for limited things, if the acidity of the wine needs tinkering with.

In my wet tumbler, I usually put in the brass, pins, fill about half full with hot water, squirt of dish soap, and about a teaspoon of citric acid powder. Make sure to rinse the brass in clean water after, as the citric acid will cause tarnish if left to dry on the cases.

Vinegar does work, but bleaches the cases out to an orangeish color.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    As an experiment, I took some of my homemade miracle bore cleaner, and let a few .45acp cases that were filthy with dirt, verdigris & tarnish sit in a coffee cup for about 15 minutes, then tumbled with walnut/rouge for 20 minutes; they looked very nice.
    I ran them through the sizing die, and they looked like new brass, except for about 1/8" above the rim where the dies don't touch.