In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

shell holder and die

wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭✭
Should the shell holder and die always be matched by brand, example RCBS shellholder with RCBS die? Or is it possible to mix and match such as Lee or Hornady dies with RCBS shellholders or vice versa?

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are interchangeable, the brands do not matter.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could have better luck if old ones match. Newer stuff seems to be more standardized.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The newer shell holders are "universal", ie., they will fit any of the newer presses. (And "newer" goes back quite a ways.) Having said that, I was going to give a shell holder to my great-grandson to load for his .300 Savage and I had to check a few to find one that had the proper .125 depth. Some were 1 or 2 thousandths too deep which isn't much but makes a difference when you really need to full length resize.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of the earlier shell holders were not heat treated or case hardened. Over time, that 1/8in dimension would grow due to substantial use...sometimes A LOT !