In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Great-Grandsons & Reloading

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
Two of my great-grandsons just left here after a reloading lesson, their first. The 15 yr. old wanted to load for the .300 Savage 99 left to him by another great-grandfather. Over 55+ years, I've accumulated enough stuff for 3 or 4 complete reloading set-ups. A couple years ago I bought, at a gun show, an old 60's vintage Pacific Standard press to give to some one as a starter. I gave them that, a Pacific/Hornady scale, a set of Pacific dies I forgot I had, a Lyman 55 measure, an RCBS hand priming tool, a Lyman 48th edition book, and assorted odds and ends that are needed. We put together a box of 20 cartridges with new brass that I had on hand. I sent along the rest of the box of primers, bullets, and can of powder. The kids seemed to catch on fast and I had fun and I believe they did, too. The younger one wants to load for his .243 Handi-Rifle. So we'll probably be doing that next time. I told them there was going to be a reverse quiz: Read the book and ask me questions about what you don't understand.

Comments

• MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    You may want to rethink your strategy.... If you have all of the equipment, they have to come visit to load ammo..[^]
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good work. No kids of my own but a then 14 year old girl got her first Elk with ammo I taught her to load with equipment I gave her and her dad. She used her granny's 99 in 300 Savage.

I have given away 4 or 5 set ups and taught them to use the equipment.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started reloading on my own about age 16 or 17. Mom's oldest Son moved and dumped a bunch of mix-n-match reloading equipment at our house. I filled the gaps from the wonderful "Herter's" catalog and with a little advice from Mom's cousin, began my foray into the mystical art of handloading. In a strictly reloading sense, I've made it almost 50 years with only a couple of hiccups.
    My recommendation would be to proceed carefully as we all know how some teenagers can get far ahead of themselves and make serious errors unless closely supervised.