In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.375 winchester

Is it possible to shorten .375 Winchester casings to 1.80"(normal length is 2.02")so I could use them in Zone#3 in Michigan to hunt deer where you can use center fired straight walled cartridges of .350" diameter or larger with a maximum case length of 1.80"s& how much gun powder & what type would I use?

Comments

• MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Don't see why not.... and if cartridge loaded OAL stays the same, in other words if you don't seat the bullets deeper, I think a standard load will work.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think, if the DNR checks you, and they will if they see you with a Winchester 94, you will be in trouble. They will probably have a list of cartridges that are acceptable and the .375 won't be on that list. I doubt that they will be carrying calipers, but maybe. You will probably be able to explain your situation in court and avoid a fine, etc. but, in the meantime, the DNR will be holding your rifle (and maybe some other stuff) for you. I don't think it's worth the risk.

My 94 is one of the .44 magnums that was made in the 70's and I fully expect to be challenged if encountered by the DNR.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree, get your plan approved in writing ahead if time, it will likely save you a lot of grief. I think I would roll a new cannelure in the bullets for the new length.

http://www.corbins.com/hct-1.htm I think Hornady made one too.
  • LEVERMAN100LEVERMAN100 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It doesn't say anything about what rifle you can use,it says .350 dia. or larger,case length 1.16 to 1.80,strait wall cartridges....
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see some trouble in your idea.

First, the gun will be marked .375Win, NOT a legal round.

second, I would cut them to 1.700 or so that the case is easy to see less than the LIMIT of 1.80.
    And your cases are still headstamped .375Win.

If I had to do it, I would find some 38-55 cases and cut them.
    I think a Game warden would look nicer on that head stamp than a brand new 375.
    And carry a small steel scale {ruler} with you.[;)]