In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Powder Coated Bullets

bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
Opinions?

The ad says...

" Powder coated bullets give you all the benefits of a FMJ without the FMJ price. "

Comments

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What ad is that?
    Powder coated bullets for sale or supplies and equipment for sale?

It sounds to me like "Something to do involving bullets besides shooting."
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used some "hard graphite" coated bullets and was satisfied. Not sure how one would "powder coat" bullets in the true sense since that involves processes not suitable for such small stuff.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I have tried both cast and swaged lead pistol bullets in .452 size that have the powder coated bullets I have loaded over 350,000
    rounds of 45ACP ammo for Bulls-eye NRA matches that need 50 yard loads the will hold between 1.5-2.0 inch groups at 50 yards in a ransom rest. The pistol needs to fire 180 rounds without cleaning and without any malfunctions. Bullet lube is one of if not THE most important thing in both accuracy of the ammo and little to no leading that causes gun malfunction. Bullet lube IMHO needs to be soft to fill up the bore and prevent gas cutting that leads the bore and increases group size. I have tried dry lube and it does not work for me in high volume. it does not seal the bore and more importantlyit will build up in the seating die. load 200 rounds in your star and progressive press . OR ANY OTHER PRESS and measure OAL of the first round and the 200th round and you will see the build up of the DRY / POWDER lube causes the OAL to get shorter with each use [V][:(!] Bullets makes love powder lube because it is cheaper to use IMHO NOT BETTER I order bullets NON LUBED and lube my own
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Opinion is: You will likely get a better response if you refine your question. Perhaps you could cut and paste a link to the product such as this, http://www.falconbullets.com/category_s/1859.htm

The answer is always 5 but I get to pick the units.
  • papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am really liken my new WC casting and powdercoating. I was just starting with getting lubing decent and planning to make some. I doubt I'll get back to lube at all, maybe in future for fun. $5 will get you tons of coating done.
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That link shows a powder coated bullet as in sprayed then baked powder coating, not as in a dry powder lubed bullet.
    Interesting, Probably would behave as a fmj, but I would worry about cracking and flaking of the coating.

Try some and get back to us.[:D]
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    OK now I see the exact product you are asking about The alloy used in not as hard as most cast bullets . I still think You would need to lube the bullets to seal the bore and what about coating build up and how about cleaning the bore after a number of rounds I would love to RANSOM REST TEST them and check for group size on known pistol and inspection of bore after say 100 rounds. the type of bullet shown looks like a standard target SEMI WADCUTTER
    edited November -1
    http://www.steelvalleycasting.com/about-us.html

Steel Valley Casting is the greater Pittsburgh area's newest supplier for hard cast bullets, powder coated bullets, and precision reloading services. We strive to provide our customers with the best products available. Our lead alloy is U.S.A. sourced and every batch comes with a certificate of analysis for contents. We manufacture our bullets on Ballisticast Mark II auto casters. Cast bullets are sized and lubed using a fairly hard lube that resists melting at warmer temperatures and damage from shipping or handling. Our cast bullets are made to load without the worries of a messy soft sticky lube. Powder coated bullets are coated using a dry spray process that gives an even coat over the entire bullet, unlike the wet tumble method. These coated bullets are then baked to harden the powder coating then sized. Powder coated bullets are safe to shoot indoors and out of polygonal rifled barrels (ie. Glock, HK, CZ). All of our bullets are inspected throughout the manufacturing process to insure quality and consistency of product. Our bullets are then packaged in boxes of 500 ready to be loaded.
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by babun
    That link shows a powder coated bullet as in sprayed then baked powder coating, not as in a dry powder lubed bullet.
    Interesting, Probably would behave as a fmj, but I would worry about cracking and flaking of the coating.

Try some and get back to us.[:D]

See, now I was going to offer to do a special givaway for you![;)]

I was going to send you a hundred or so...[;)]

I have been reloading for less than a year. And appreciate all the stickies and encouragement from everyone. But I had never heard of anything like this.
    I'm guessing that it would be better than a polymer coating on the bullet. But hadn't ever heard of them before.

Maybe I will get a few. Just for giggles. Or maybe they're the best thing since sliced bread?[:)]
    edited November -1
    I think you will be pleased with them.
    Baked powder coating is next to indestructible.
    I would try to catch some in water to see what they look like after firing.[?]

I like the idea of getting your own color choices...might be cool to id different loads.[8D] .
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    babun---Read this stuff.. pages n pages about boolet coatings.
    enjoy.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?184-Coatings-and-Alternatives