In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hercules

molarmakermolarmaker Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
Just ordered 4lbs. of Unique, arrived in a paper card board tube manufactured by Hercules stamped UN 110 how old is it, is it safe to use. Just how old is it.

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as it was stored properly and is still sealed I would be happy to have it. If you paid top dollar for it you might have some room to complain about it. ATK bought Hercules reloading powders in 1995, so it is at least that old.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Smell it when you open it. It should have a sweet solvent smell, if it's acrid it perhaps is going bad. Red dust when you pour into a container is a bad sign.

I still have some I bought back in high school back in the 70's. Proper storage condition is critical.
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello. Hodgdon powders sold in bulk over 40 years ago. It is strange that the lid is marked 110 and you supposedly got Unique. Be sure about it. The cardboard tube is on old ice cream container.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I've got a few pounds of it that I bought about '77 that has been stored in a dry, cool, area that is in very good condition.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FYI... I still have a can of Unique made be Laflan & Rand. (SP)
    That dates from the teens or twenty's..still does just fine in
    38 specials.