In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

6x45MM

MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
I'm looking for input from folks who have and/or reload for this cartridge. I'm fully into the AR(LEGO) fad and have decided this may be the next step up for Grandsons' deer rifle. At this point, I'm only lacking a barrel. In the interest of adding a suppressor, we have some fairly specific criteria for barrel length, weight, and muzzle thread. I have dies and cases but am looking for actual hands on suggestions. Thanks

Comments

• CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is more than one 6x45, assuming you want to count all of the various wildcats. Plus, there are the 6x44, 6x43 and others that are so close that they are hard to tell apart.

Which 6x45 are you considering?
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    6mm/223

Hoping to minimize case forming to simply neck up and trim. I've done some preliminary dummy loads and found that the bullet I really wanted to use (65 grain OTM w/cannelure)for varmints/accuracy is going to be over OAL to fit the mag. Those cases will require trimming (probably to 43mm). Deer bullet of choice will be Nosler 85 grain Partition IF it works well enough. I also have several hundred old stock 80 grain SSP which worked well in 243 reduced loads.
  • laylandadlaylandad Member Posts: 961 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I built a 6x45mm about 2 years ago for my son to hunt with. I settled on the 85 gr Nosler Partition loaded with H 335. I'm getting around 2600 FPS in a 16" barrel. I think that it's plenty fast for whitetail.

As far as case prep...I simply neck up any 223/556 case and then trim to length. I use RCBS AR series dies with a taper crimp seater. I've never had any problems with bullet setback nor any problems with sizing. If you have any other questions, please ask. It is a fun little cartridge and can be quite accurate.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mobuck,

This is a great little cartridge which I have often used in small scale bolt action rifles for depredation and varmint hunting. The Mini-Mauser and 'Baby' Sakos were perfect while the Remington Model 600, 660 and Model SeVen were viable also.

The only drawback to putting this cartridge in an AR platform is boiler room, powder space for the necessary velocity which is limited by the magazine length. But as you suggest, lighter bullets of proper construction will do the job based on limiting the distance to target.

I have put this cartridge in a few ARs and I think it's adequate so long as the construction of the AR is adequate. As much as we like to think of this style rifle as a tinker toy set up, you need good components matched to function AND fit together in order to achieve accuracy. Failing this, you have simply put together a plinker which is of no worth in the hunting fields. You would be amazed to what ends dedicated gunsmiths go to in order to get the accuracy they require.

Depending on the age and build of your grandson, he might be better served with a lightweight bolt rifle suited to his stature. But if he has some size and strength then the AR will work if it is suited him.

Excellent cartridge, lots of bullets to choose from and good velocities can be gotten with some of the newer powders.

Best.
    edited November -1
    Well, thanks to GB auction, this project is much closer to fruition. Been waiting on BO'd barrels and low and behold, a nice used(already broken in) one shows up with some fluff(dies and brass) for a reasonable BIN and I did. It's only a 100 miles away so should get here by end of week.
    All the parts to finish are in my parts box and bullets in the storage bin so it might be ready by the late youth deer season and Grandson still has a doe tag left.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one of the first 6x45 barrels when they were offered by B.H. Service (Old Sarge) back in the 1980's. At the time I bought 2 barrels one was fine the other needed the brass trimmed back a bit for it to function properly. At the time I also bought 500 rounds of Hornady 85 grain hollow point ammo. I used it quite a bit and did reload for it but have no remaining records as I sold everything related to it to a fellow in Washington state. It was a great little round and I did take one deer with it. It was a single round kill and the bullet put the deer right down. The only reason why I sold it was to take on a different project.
    edited November -1
    I had a chance to spend a few minutes tinkering with the 6x45 yesterday(suffering the post Christmas doldrums). Some test loads of dummies indicates I'll have to trim cases to 43mm for at least a couple of the bullets I want to try/use(and be able to use the crimp groove). That's not a big deal since I already have some .223 that got trimmed about 1mm short when the trimmer stop slipped. I've done far more tedious processes in the interest of forming brass in the past. The major concern was if the seater/crimp die would adjust to crimp the shortened cases-seems it will so no machine work involved.
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is this the same round as the 6mm TCU (Thompson-Center Ugalde) used in the old Contenders? A relative had a 6.5 TCU in a Contender and loved it for +/- 150 yard shots on deer. Very little recoil and it worked very well for him.
    edited November -1
    IIRC, The 6mm TCU has less body taper and a sharper shoulder. Probably has slighter more boiler room and quite possibly not as well adapted for semi-auto functioning.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Riomouse911,

From Handgun Hunter Magazine:

Developed by a Nevada gunsmith named Wes Ugalde, the "T/CU" line of cartridges were designed using the very common (and cheap) .223 Remington as the parent cartridge. The four rounds that were developed consisted of one that shoots a 6mm (.243") bullet, a slightly larger round using a .257" bullet, one shooting a 6.5mm (.264") bullet, and the biggest using a 7mm (.284") bullet. Opening the .223 Remington case up to any of the previously mentioned calibers provides an advantage by reducing wind drift and providing more energy down range. The rounds he created were to be chambered in the T/C Contender. Warren Center of Thompson/Center Arms talked Wes into naming the rounds "Thompson/Center Ugalde," or "T/CU" for short.

The 6T/CU is practically identical to the older 6mm-223 Remington, also called 6X45mm that was developed in 1965. Initially the 6T/CU had been intended primarily as a metallic silhouette pistol cartridge, whereas the 6mm-223 Remington was developed as a rifle cartridge for benchrest and varmint shooting. The T/CU also differs because the cases have to fireformed to fit the chamber before load development can begin. This will create the sharp 40-degree shoulder with nearly straight case walls. The formed round will look very much like those created by Parker O. Ackley back in the 1950's when he would take a case and increase the shoulder angle then virtually eliminate all body taper. This allowed an increase in case capacity as well as velocity. These cases have simply been termed "Ackley Improved." The 6X45 only requires the handloader to run cases through the sizing die to expand the neck; shoulder angle and body taper remain the same.

This is the most common comparison.

Best.
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cool, thanks. Kind of funny how folks are going back to those types of wildcats in new guns (Ar's)looking for more versatility.