In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Well Baked Brass

Cleaned some brass in my ultrasound cleaned. Then put it in the oven in a shallow baking pan at 200 deg last night to dry out.Oven was set for 2 hours. Before I could remove it today the wife fired up the oven at 400 deg to cook dinner. When she opened up the oven door there was the well baked brass. Took it out and let it air cool. Other than being discolored it looks OK.
Anyone else go through this who would care to chime in?
Believe I need to hit the thrift store for an old counter top toaster oven to eliminate this problem.

Comments

• Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At 400 degrees, you may still be safe. Did the
    cases get to a plum color??
    Read this webpage.
    http://www.annealingmachines.com/how-to-anneal.html
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What cartridge and do load on the full tilt side, plus does the action/barrel support the case well. I would keep them segregated in case the head/web is too soft to support high pressure properly.

Added should read do "you" load on the full tilt side. Sorry, I'm still having eye trouble from the last shot in the eye,
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    What cartridge and do load on the full tilt side, plus does the action/barrel support the case well. I would keep them segregated in case the head/web is too soft to support high pressure properly.

you mean DON'T load on the full tilt..[;)]

Also feel how the primers seat?
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you should be fine. You would need 600* for an hour, to ruin an entire case body. I dry my cases on cookie sheets in the oven on a regular basis. Annealing takes place at higher temps than an oven can reach. Here is an article on annealing

http://www.6mmbr.com/annealing.html
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We've had the discussion about "looking in the oven before turning it on" several times. Pretty well ingrained in the process now.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a shoe rack and dry them in the cloths dryer for 30-40 minutes on low heat.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Yes before I got a safe I hid my money in the oven paper will burn [:0]
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Yes before I got a safe I hid my money in the oven paper will burn [:0]

Guys like you have money to burn[:D]
  • Options
    The Old SaltThe Old Salt Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even though she only set the oven to 400, many of the cases even after cooling look purple at the base ejector ring. I was advised by a tool & die friend to not reload them, and he knows how I load. So they r going into the scrap brass file. Besides, it's not worth the risk!

I do like the shoe rack dryer idea especially since our 2nd dryer is in the same room as my ultrasonic cleaner! Daaa, why didn't I think of that one!

Thanks & Merry Christmas to all!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by The Old Salt
    Even though she only set the oven to 400, many of the cases even after cooling look purple at the base ejector ring. I was advised by a tool & die friend to not reload them, and he knows how I load. So they r going into the scrap brass file. Besides, it's not worth the risk!

I do like the shoe rack dryer idea especially since our 2nd dryer is in the same room as my ultrasonic cleaner! Daaa, why didn't I think of that one!

Thanks & Merry Christmas to all!

Good and safe decision. While the oven AIR temp might have been 400 the metal racks and pan and brass could have got hotter.
    That's why I asked if they got to the plum
    {purple} color, thats the stage that the metal changes.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ya, you might have annealed the entire case and changed their properties. Good idea to play it safe and scrap them.