In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A SAD DAY IF YOU SHOOT CMP

perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
Well It looks like the DCM/CMP has fallen to the wishes of THE PC
CROWD Now JUST ABOUT ANY PISTOL MADE EXCEPT a 9MM on a 1911 frame Will be legal for EIC matches as well as PRESIDENTS 100 MATCHES

I GUESS I will have to drop my favorite saying "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN" as it will be meaningless [V][:(!][:(][xx(]

Comments

• Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A sad day indeed.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Wsd,ya expect with the military using the 9mm [?][?]
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I have mixed feelings. Emotionally I say that only service pistols in service calibers should be permitted. Tradition and what not.

Then again, the mandate of the CMP is to promote civilian marksmanship. Artificially limiting that by restricting it to a certain caliber/weapon is silly. That said, perhaps they should run it like the Garand match; a milspec and unlimited category. Shoot whatever gun you like, but you're competing against others shooting whatever they like, while the guys shooting service pistols compete against the like.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That would still include a lot of weapons. Berettas, HKs, and Sigs come to mind.

They should separate the classes. Most other completitions do like the Bianchin Cup.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    JONK I agree with you but how can you say that a GLOCK in all three calibers 9MM 40 S&W and 45ACP are mil spec yet a 9mm government model Colt 1911 is not [?][?][?]I made DISTINGUISH in 1984 with 3 ten point legs shooting 230 grain Ball ammo that everyone was issured on the line and everyone shoots the same lot number.LEVEL PLAYING FIELD I also captained 3 Civilian winning team hardball matches I also made THE President 100 ten time all shooting 230 grain Ball ammo . Dont get me wrong but These matches started in the late 1800's and rules stayed 99.9% the same for over 100 years when I was shooting They had to pass inspection even the grips could not be over spec by ten thousands of an inch there is no way an inspector can inspect over 30 types of pistolsand know their spec on all parts being allowed as of Jan 30th. We could only shoot 3 matches a year, Now one can shoot as many as you want and you can't shoot a 9MM 1911 because that would be unfair yet a 9MM glock is OK . yes this is a rant but they cant tell me this is not dumbing down the sport.we are going the way of the DO DO BIRD not marksmanship just spray and pray. [V][:(!]
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Ah, the 'Issued' ammo requirement to level the playing field...

There again, I have mixed feelings. On one hand, I DO like the idea of leveling the playing field. On the other hand, as we know, all guns are different. If the goal is to demonstrate marksmanship, how does one do that with some awful USGI ammo that doesn't shoot worth beans? In that sense, it isn't leveling the playing field at all, just giving one group whose guns prefer that ammo an undue advantage, meaning they might outshoot a guy who is really a great marksman, but whose gun just hates that ammo. Better to permit any ammo, so that anyone who cares to wring out their guns with various commercial options or handloads can show what they can truly do, i.e., truly demonstrate their marksmanship abilities.

Case in point, USGI M1 carbine ammo. When they were still issuing that, I never won squat. My carbine hated it. When they started issuing Aguila, I started winning medals. MY marksmanship was up to the task, it was the ammo failing me.

Again, I'm torn on this. But as much as I might dislike Glocks for instance, I'd rather know that there are guys out there who can shoot them accurately helping to defend the nation so to speak, and who care about the sport enough to go to the national matches, and pay an entry fee to a truly wonderful organization, the CMP. Anything to safely grow the sport is, in balance I think, worth it.

As to 9mm 1911s, well... I agree, that should be permitted if all the rest is.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for replying again the thing I like is other peoples view point. Yes the military teams did have prior Knowledge of what ammo everyone was getting as to lot number and they had a chance to zero their pistols BEFORE coming to Perry. an unfair advantage to say the LEAST. BUT THIS WAS NEVER BROWN BOX IT WAS MATCH BALL in ransom rest testing I could never buy or load and ammo that was better.out of a dozen or more match ball guns I tested for myself and state team shooters, We got to test the left over ammo we got 3 boxes but only fired 100 if you shot all 3 matches the other box was for refires we also got a ammo can for each state team for next year practice I always got a great feeling making the President 100 as 80 % of those 100 shooters were Military team shooters it was slim pickings For the civilian shooters . I went to Perry every year from 1972-2005 I would love to be cremated when I pass and have my ashes Fired out of the salute cannon for the start of BALL DAY.
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perry Shooter I wish I had even a fraction of your knowledge of the 1911 Thank you I have learned much over the years from your posts.
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    Missouri Mule K30Missouri Mule K30 Member Posts: 2,092 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How can they justify this nonsense?[xx(] Open season with " JUST ABOUT ANY OTHER PISTOL MADE", and then single out a 1911 based 9mm on what pretense? Sounds to me that other "makers of pistols" think that they need some kind of edge because they cannot compete against THE HARD-BALL GUN. Not being involved in the program at that level maybe I just do not have all the information needed. Good Luck perry shooter...