In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

returning powder to orginal container

peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
Should a person use a plastic or a metal funnel when pouring powder back into the orginal container? Thanks

Comments

• Green WeenieGreen Weenie Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    To my knowledge, plastic or a non-sparking metal.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wipe with a dryer sheet to help with static cling.
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I've poured lots of Dupont IMR powder OUT of metal cans... Never blew up. I don't think it matters.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    don't stand on the carpet, and static shouldn't be a problem. But then again, it never was even when I didn't know any better, and had my loading bench in a carpeted room.

Ditto on the dryer sheet trick,..works every time.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Always good to reduce spark potential as much as possible.
    While we all probably unloaded powder from a metal can, there are reasons why the industry went to "non-static" plastic.

Use "non-static" funnels if you need to use a funnel.

One other thing, keep yourself grounded to what ever you are pouring into.

I really saw how badly this could go when I was draining extra gasoline out of a plane I was working on and putting it in our fuel buffalo. Even though I grounded myself, I could feel the static electricity going from my feet to the buffalo's foot ramp. Through rubber soled shoes even. I took some extra safety wire and connected it from the bucket to the buffalo.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Strangely enough, to prevent static from building up, use a funnel that is CONDUCTIVE, but non sparking. Aluminum or conductive plastic. That way static is bled off as it builds up. Same reason you used the bonding cable on the fuel system on the aircraft.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I should have said non-sparking. Like, as you said, conductive. Not non-conductive.
    It's counter intuitive, but true.