In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Win748 in a 308

Anyone ever try Win 748 loads in their 308? If so please share your results.
Why you might ask? In a 308 ME, Win 748 starting/finish pressures are very close to LVR pressures and an almost identical psi/gr of powder ((max psi-min psi)/max gr-min gr) relationship. It would be a good Thumb stick for starting the process with LVR in a 308.

Comments

• 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have been using it in a target load that is very successful for our M-700 with a 20" 1 in 11" barrel. Load is 42.5 grains/CCI match primer/Hornady 175 OTM. Shooter, a USMC scout/sniper, put 4 in a row into the same hole, I was one the spotting scope and could see the paper fibers move with the bullet passing through. He got a bit excited and pulled the fifth shot about 1/2" out.
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot jugs upon jugs of 748 in the 308 Winchester, goes together like peas and carrots. Also, I always use a Federal 215M primers.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nothing wrong at all with using 748 in a .308. It burns efficiently and produces very good velocity.

There is a number of faster powders that work well in the .308. I've used 4198, 2015,1640, 2230 and RE-10.

Pressures build fast with the fast powders, So, not realistic to go for top velocity.

Keeping in mind you are shooting for accuracy, the faster burn pulse gives less harmonic issues than slower powders when trying to find that sweet spot.