In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

TURRET PRESS

diver1diver1 Member Posts: 502 ✭✭
I have used an RCBS single stage loader for years. I recently acquired a vintage Lyman SPAR-T in a trade. I was looking at this today and I thought I might use the Lyman. I have never used any other press than the RCBS and all my dies are RCBS. The question is would you use the Lyman or stick with what I have ? I am sure that most people might feel this is a subjective question. I really would like all opinions. Thanks

Comments

• diver1diver1 Member Posts: 502 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why should I buy or not buy a turret press? If I should buy a turret press, which one should it be?

Thanks, Grizztribefans@sssnet.com
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I use a Lyman All American for rifle and others.
    I have Dillon Square Deals for 9mm and 45ACP.
    With the turret you can leave the dies set and in it [;)]
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would use it for pistol ammo with out qualms, match grade rifle ammo not so much.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have my All American set up for match 45 ACP loads. Use it for your most often shot pistol cartridge "set it and forget it" is nice.
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used the Spar-T for rifle and pistol reloading with complete satisfaction. A manual turret press does take complete concentration to avoid missing a step in the loading progression, especially charging the powder. I only screwed-up once; no powder in a rifle case. Fortunately it was on the range and not hunting. As stated, it works very well for pistol cartridges (faster), but can be a little fatiguing turning the turret for each position.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    I would keep both. The RCBS for hvy duty and the Lyman for pre-set dies. I use my Spar-T for all the final crimp dies, but have used it for small volume pistol in the past, never tried rifle since I have a Big Boss II for that.

You can never have to many presses.
  • wiz1997wiz1997 Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep both, if you have room on the bench.

I started with a RCBS Rock Chucker then bought the Lyman Mag II T press.

RCBS now set up with a universal decapping die so I can sit and decap whatever I may have. Decap a lot of Military brass which can take a little more oomph to get the primer out. Just change out the shell plate as needed.

The Lyman does the rest of the work.

Only drawback to the Lyman is if you turn the turret counter-clockwise to much you may unscrew the pivot bolt and loose the correct die settings. Learned that the hard way of course.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If using a Lyman turret press and your loading .223/5.56 with small base dies the turret press won't size your brass properly.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by armilite
    If using a Lyman turret press and your loading .223/5.56 with small base dies the turret press won't size your brass properly.

BS, my Allamerican sizes them all for my AR,s [^]
    edited November -1
    +1 on dcs shooters comment.

I small base military .308/7.62 without a problem.

A LEE turrent press may be a problem.

Have one for pistol rounds but don't use it much. Too many things moving at the same time.
    edited November -1
    +1 on dcs shooters comment.

I small base military .308/7.62 without a problem.

A LEE turrent press may be a problem.

Have one for pistol rounds but don't use it much. Too many things moving at the same time.
    edited November -1
    I had an issue with mine and those words came directly from Lyman I was using and still use that T-Mag press. I just won't use it with the small base dies.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    I would have to disagree with the comments about a Lyman Spar-T (NOT a Lyman All American) being OK for hvy rifle or small base dies.

The Spar-T tends to have a little "play" which can create problems with heavy duty work. I have owned two of them and both had this issue. I think they are fine for some work, but would not own one for my "only" press.

If you own a Spar-T you should have a good "H" press also, IMO.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by geeguy
    I would have to disagree with the comments about a Lyman Spar-T (NOT a Lyman All American) being OK for hvy rifle or small base dies.

The Spar-T tends to have a little "play" which can create problems with heavy duty work. I have owned two of them and both had this issue. I think they are fine for some work, but would not own one for my "only" press.

If you own a Spar-T you should have a good "H" press also, IMO

Exactly, there is a springing tendency in the press. If you use a small base die when the handle is depressed and the die is at the top of the stroke the press head will raise slightly and the die doesn't go all the way down as far as it should go on the brass. This can be critical especially if you reloading for a tight chamber.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCBS for all resizing and turret press for loading.
    All American turret indexing can be eased up by reducing detent spring, greasing and adjusting shake in turret with knurled knob on top.
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Redding and its a great press with very little runout.
    RLTW

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This thread has "put a hankerin in me". I'm going to make room for my old Spar-T to load 300 AAC on(if I can find a shellholder-I think a 9mm will work for everything except sizing). It's been sitting in a box for 15 years. Sold it once and the buyer balked on the shipping so I stuck it on a shelf and left it.