In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1st USPSA competition nerves

Going in as a walk-in for my first competition this weekend. Nervous as hell! Any suggestions or recommendations? Most likely going to use my XD45 in Production class but will also be bringing my 1911 in case I have a better chance of getting into that class.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Concentrate on the shot you are taking, not the last or next one.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    #1 Don't try to keep up with the guys that have been doing it for years. Watch those guys (you'll figure out right quick who they are) and see how they do it.
    #2 Focus on your front sight and make smooth reloads.
    #3 Don't go to win, go to have fun.
    More than likely, the folks you're gonna be around are gonna be willing to help out a newbie. Don't be afraid to ask for advice/feedback.
    Have fun!!
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    #1 Don't try to keep up with the guys that have been doing it for years. Watch those guys (you'll figure out right quick who they are) and see how they do it.
    More than likely, the folks you're gonna be around are gonna be willing to help out a newbie. Don't be afraid to ask for advice/feedback.
    Have fun!!

NAILED IT [;)]
    This is what I was told before my first match(back in '86) [^]
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    Have fun!!

NAILED IT [;)]
    This is what I was told before my first match(back in '86) [^]

Thanks! I guess I should qualify my remarks by stating that I have only one USPSA match under my belt. I have, however, shot TONS of IDPA matches. Slightly different games, same basics. I would encourage you to try an IDPA match sometime. I found it a whole lot more fun.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    We had some 40rd USPSA matches that were tiring. When Hackathorn and Wilson formed IDPA it was very pleasing for the rd count [;)]
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I have shot NRA BULLS-EYE matches since 1965 I used to get nervous before each match But I am the type of person that once a match starts I shoot better Than I ever did in just practice . When I finally stopped being nervous my scores went down but age also had something to do with that .
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    I had a blast today. I shot production and was pretty much the only one shooting 45acp. Everyone else had 9mm. I did horrible my first two stages but got a little better as the day went on. Adrenaline kicked in once the buzzer sounded and took me a while to calm down and shoot at a pace where I could make better shots.
    Got some good pointers from some veteran shooters. Very friendly bunch I shot with. Will definitely be going back.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    I will gave you the same advice that was given to me at my first 3 gun match. Dennis Ming was shooting on the same team as I, he was best known as Chinacamp and was a 6 time national champion in Cowboy action, so the guy know what he was talking about. After watching me shoot the first stage he said these words to me:

Fast is slow
    Slow is smooth
    Smooth is fast
    To get fast you first have to be smooth
    To get smooth you first have to be slow
    With experience you will get faster
    But your not good enough to be fast now
    So slow down
    Slow is smooth
    Smooth is fast

He was right, I slowed down, remembered my sights and I remembered to breath, my times improved. Dennis died not a year after giving me that advice and the world of action shooting is at a loss without him.