In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

300 AAC

MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
I finally spent some time assembling some handloads for the little bugger. First 3 shots with Hornady 110 spire point and starting load of H110 gave me a single elongated hole at 60 yards. The 190 BTHP need a little more than the starting load but still MOA. Both loads slightly better accuracy than the Hornady 110 V-Max factory loads which are definitely faster.
I'm going to bump my loads .5 grain and run a few over the Chrony-didn't have time yesterday.

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love playing with the 300 AAC. The best fun so far has been the Lee 312-155 2R cast bullet with a working load of Lil'Gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    With only 2 grains of powder between starting and max loads, it's not for the sloppy loader. I'm going to break into my new 8# jug of Lil-Gun when I get some things caught up on the farm. It seems to reach velocity at far lower pressures than H-110.
    I do intend to use the 300 next fall during the "alternate methods" deer season. We did some checking and hunting regs allow AR "pistols" with mufflers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Another powder I tried and liked is Vihtavuori 110. I bought it on a fluke having no past experience with it. The loads from Vihtavuori's web site for 125 grain pills proved VERY accurate at 100 yards. Me thinks a good deer load could be found for some of the premium bullets we have today.

If the Vihtavuori powders have a drawback it is price. They are way too expensive for large lot shooting in my book.
  • Options
    carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was having trouble finding brass for a reasonable cost until I got Widener's last email. Has anyone used Armscor new brass? I have 1k pieces on the way.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by carbine100
    I was having trouble finding brass for a reasonable cost until I got Widener's last email. Has anyone used Armscor new brass? I have 1k pieces on the way.

Nope, I just invested less than $50.00 on a mini-cut off saw and a jig to cut 223 brass down. A bit of time is consumed but the brass is sure cheap then. If you do it make sure you have a neck thickness trimmer, you will need it.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    My cut down 5.56MM LC brass has the exact same neck thickness as factory Remington 300AAC factory brass. I just use an electric drill on my Lyman case trimmer to trim down to the body, resize, then final size trim.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "The Blckout runs everything from 110 gr to 150 gr with a carbine gas tube, and everything from there to 240 SMK's with a pistol length tube and / or suppressor"

This comment from a different thread baffles me. My 300AAC has a carbine gas system and seems to work fine with whatever I put in the magazine. Starting loads, medium loads, 110 V-max factory loads, or 190 BTHP @ 1200fps loads.