In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Buckmark Grips for Bullseye

AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
I have a buckmark pistol that I have done a few alterations in hopes of starting bullseye shooting (flipped sear spring, Trail Lite barrel and comp, matchdot red dot). Shooting it from a resting point gives me a less than half inch group with 10 shots at 24 yards (my gun range doesn't go full 25 yards, go figure).

When shooting two handed, I can hold a decent group of just under 1.5" at 25 yards, not stellar, but not too bad either. The problem is when I switch to one handed hold, the grip doesn't feel right and I can't get comfortable. So I have 2 questions.

First, would switching the grip to an orthopedic style help with this? Second, if the answer is yes to the first question, how do I go about getting the right grip for a buckmark and have it fit my hand correctly too?

I have a feeling I should have just message perry-shooter about this [:D] but I do value all you guys' inputs.

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot a buckmark for a couple of years in Bullseye. It is a very accurate pistol right out of the box. If the grips don't fit you need to find a source for other types, there is a custom grip maker that can put some together but they are as much as the gun.

My issue was the trigger curve and grip angle forced me to drag my finger on the bottom of the trigger guard when shooting. Even new grips would not solve that problem so I went to a Ruger MK II with volquartsen trigger and raised my average over 10 points.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Find a set of after market grips. Epoxy them up to fit your hand. It will take several applications to build them up. Modeling clay will let you play around to find what will work for you quickly. There are some clays that you can oven bake to set. After you get them dialed in find someone with a pantograph or a stock duplicating machine to make nice pair out of wood like Birdseye maple.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I am Far from being your best source of information on this particular
    Question I Do know that at first Browning made a number of different BUCKMARK models with many DIFFERENT grips. But I can state with my complete belief that grips that FEEL good may or may not shoot better Groups . All my match pistols have a thumb rest because I like the way they feel but compared to the large number of shooters at Camp PERRY
    my CMP/DCM scores in the ball matches were always in the higher % than the NRA matches that allowed all kinds of fancy grips The grips on EIC matches HARD BALL have the most strict MUST BE WITHIN .030 of an inch of MILITARY issue rules of any kind of shooting I know.Of course now they are going to let you shoot all kinds of guns and grips . but this came about years after I retired for national matches. I found fancy fitting grips did give me more X's and 10's but the9's & 8's became 6's an 5's [:(!]
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Try Funggrip.com for an expensive grip or MGW for a nice pair. You may find that a good grip for that gun may cost about 50%+ of the gun value.

Does it help? For us old lightweights that shake like heck, yes, the thumb pressure and finger groves really help me. However, I shoot with many others that use standard grips and do very well (Masters and High Masters). Almost all target grips need to be fit by you to your hand (as stated above) which is why most good fitting grips look bad. A good fitting grip raised my bottom Marksman scores to mid-Marksman. (of course a little more practice would have done the same)

Best of luck
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. I've always believed that if a gun feels comfortable, then you will sheet better. Also, due to the higher than usual gun prices these days (I don't think prices have really come to reasonable levels yet) rather than buying new guns, I'm putting my money into making my current shooters better and more comfortable.

Bruce's point about the trigger is on the spot for me, so I think my next project will be to change the trigger itself if I can find a good aftermarket piece. Maybe if I bug Volquartsen enough they'll come out with something [:D]
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by AzAfshin
    Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. I've always believed that if a gun feels comfortable, then you will sheet better. Also, due to the higher than usual gun prices these days (I don't think prices have really come to reasonable levels yet) rather than buying new guns, I'm putting my money into making my current shooters better and more comfortable.

Bruce's point about the trigger is on the spot for me, so I think my next project will be to change the trigger itself if I can find a good aftermarket piece. Maybe if I bug Volquartsen enough they'll come out with something [:D]

If you find a replacement trigger let me know. I gave the gun to my son and he has the same issue. Not sure why Browning did not see the flaw in design before releasing the gun for sale.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bruce, what do you think of getting one of those adjustable buckmark triggers and using the screw hole to attach a piece of plastic to essentially create a flatter surface on the trigger. It would extend the finger reach out a bit, but it won't be as curvy.