In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lube Die Question

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
I've been casting bullets for 9x18 (Makarov) and lube them with the liquid Lee lube. I'm pretty sure the bullets are .365. Recently bought a Lyman 45 for sing other bullets. I've been looking for a die for the 9x18 rounds but have only found a .363 die. Would a .363 bullet be undersized? Cause leading, etc. I'd like to get away from the liquid lube.

Also what die would be appropriate for a 30 Cal round? .308? .309? I've seen claims to use a .311 for 30 cal rounds, which seems to be a bit too large to me.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Normal is .001 or .002 larger. A lot of 30 cal is .311 just because I suspect of worn bores.

There are people around that make custom sizing to your exact size.

Added I would look for a .366, perhaps a .367. A high antimony content in your alloy can help throw a larger bullet in your mold.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9×18mm_Makarov

You might consider a bullet swage of some sort to bump up some smaller bullet. .356 - .359 to your size.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A cheap digital caliper is available from most supply houses. It will make your life a lot easier. I shoot .311 in 30 caliber rifles. They shoot better for me as cast from Linotype/wheel weights 50/50.

Undersize bullet will lead worse than over size.