In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Could this happen?

EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
Could this happen to me, now before replying think about my kind of luck not that of a normal person. [8D]

I am feeling better and am getting ready to load the 500gr bullets for my TC pistol. Many of the loads I see call for a wad over the powder, I am guessing because it is a huge case and small amount of smokeless powder. Some powders I am looking at 12gr some go up to 60gr, with no wadding.

What are the odds of the wadding getting caught in the muzzle tamer on my bbl? I have seen warnings about not shooting anything with a sabot because it can get lodged in the M/T.

Is this something I should just try and inspect after shooting? Should I look for loads that do not call for the wad? The wads are 5/8in thick, not a smallish chunk.

Any ideas will be considered.

Thanks. David.
Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So I'm guessing a 45-70? Unique does really good in a 45-70 and isn't case position sensitive.

Since its a single shot, looking down the bore would be a good habit if you run wads.

If your wads are felt be aware they could start a fire down range.
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    So I'm guessing a 45-70? Unique does really good in a 45-70 and isn't case position sensitive.

Since its a single shot, looking down the bore would be a good habit if you run wads.

If your wads are felt be aware they could start a fire down range.

I was just thinking Unique because I have a can on the shelf. I will see how it works out.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is just me: I have read and seen too many barrels that have a "ring" in the barrel from using wads, tufts of whatever, cream of wheat, etc.
    Thus, if I was doing what you are planning, I would first try NOT using a wad. Next, I would look for a nice fluffy powder (Trailboss, Unique, Herco, Red Dot, Green Dot, Blue Dot, etc.). third, I would try to always load the gun with the muzzle up at least a little.