In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Why no handgun powder??

telohftelohf Member Posts: 913 ✭✭
Does anyone have any good information as to why there is little to no handgun powder available? I am finally getting rifle powder here in Oregon now for some time in decent supply. But handgun powder is like .22 ammo, very hard to find. Any realistic ideas as to why?

Comments

• Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not just handgun powders. I can't find Bullseye, Unique, 2400 or 3031.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's to be had, if you're willing to pay the speculators their exorbitant prices. I was looking for some at a show last weekend. Found a guy with some HS-6. When I found out he was asking $42 a bottle, I passed.

All kind of rumors floating around, about the unavailability of reloading powders. Who knows what the truth is?

Since my favorite Accurate Arms powders have dried up. I have been using shotgun powders. Make up my own data cards, by trial and error. These jerks who say they won't use any powder, unless their is published data by the ammo companies. Are a bunch on ninnies, who should have stuck with their Barbies.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    just got an 8 pound jug of Bulls-eye it is out there [:)]I really have no idea why some dealer get it & others don't
    total price to me including sales tax slightly less than $20.00 per pound
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been checking our powder suppliers on a regular basis ,Plenty of rifle powder but even our distributers for the shop cannot seem to get hold of any .
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Local GS had about 300 lbs of various Herc B-eye, Unique, H-titegroup, CFE pistol etc and it sold out in 3-4 days.
  • Options
    papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last week it was all up in the biotch of CTs busiest store. I grabbed a 1lb Unique $24, I think. Saw B.E.+ Power P.+ lots more IDK
  • Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just picked up the last pound of HS-6 at Cabelas locally. Counted 52 pounds of various rifle powders, and ONE pound of pistol of ANY kind. Rifle powder is good for rifles. Pistol powder is oft times the same general application as shotgun powders, so the two are usable for TWO different reloaders needs, and go that much faster than the largely single use rifle powders. Either that, or it's the damn government sucking it all up to keep it from US! [:I]
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As others have stated, I use shotgun powder (700-x) for most of the handgun calibers I reload.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toad67
    This works out to $30/pound, not to bad IMO:

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=485673088

You forgot the $28.50 Has Mat fee.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow

I only seen $6 added if it needed to go to Alaska or Hawaii....[:0]
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow

I only seen $6 added if it needed to go to Alaska or Hawaii....[:0]

$6 is for insurance. NO shipping to Ak or Hawaii.
    {must go air to get to those places}
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Went to my local dealer yesterday for some powder. I was after IMR4895, H4831, H4895, and RL22. He has several 100 lbs. of powder and had everything except the H4895 and said he'd order that. I noticed Unique and 2400 but didn't pay attention to whether he had other pistol powders. He had a lot of CFE powder but I didn't notice whether it was for rifle or pistol. His price was $24.50/lb. including tax. He has a lot of 8 lb. jugs of various kinds, too.

I guess I'm trying to say: It's out there at fair prices. This guy has some kind of an "in" with suppliers--he can get stuff that nobody else has and they will ship it to him fast. I once ordered a rifle from him and he had it the next day! I don't know if it has anything to do with it but he doesn't do computers. All of his business is done over the phone. He's wheelchair bound and one day when I was there a delivery truck came and I helped unload it and I noticed he paid cash--maybe that has something to do with it, too.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another reason is the legal climate in the USA, as with medicines powder manufacturing has moved off shore to avoid the litigation pitfalls of the US courts.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Actually Alliant pistol/shotgun podwers are the hardest to come by around here. I've been picking up Hogedon Titegroup and HS6 on a regular basis for quite a while now..........