In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Proper grip on pistol

AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
Another question for the experts here about pistol grip both for one handed and two handed shooting. I can't find a shooting coach so I get almost all of my shooting advice on line from articles and here.

So based on my reading so far, I know the proper hold, but almost everyone mentions "locking your wrists". This is what I don't understand. Anatomically, the wrist is not a lockable joint. It's a rotating joint, so it can't be locked like an elbow or a knee. Also, trying to hold the wrist position by tensing your tendons or muscles will introduce a significant wobble. So can someone properly explain to me what "locking your wrists" really means?

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    It means using the muscle to hold the hand tight. If you don't it's called "limp wristing" [;)]
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    The instruction I received for the 1911A1 was to have the wrist of the hand holding the gun straight, not bending in any direction. the idea was that the recoil would transmit in a straight line through the wrist, arm to the shoulder. the goal was to have the force of the recoil to push the gun straight back with no twisting/torqueing so that the bullet could travel down a barrel that wasn't in the process of turning, but rather going straight to the rear so the bullet could go straight to the front.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The first three answers on your question all have good valid information . Small arms firing school Taught at Camp Perry by military marksmanship unit are the Best free Instruction you can get. Brian Zens & Andy Moody USED to run a Clinic that would help all shooters develop the skills to shoot Bulls-Eye pistol I don't know if they still do this. I suggest you TRY to find a gun club that holds NRA BULLS -EYE matches go and watch at lease one 2700 Match talk to the shooters and see if you can find an older shooter that would be willing to TUTOR you. A personal coach Will put you on the fast track to becoming better. I just ran a 2700 Match at my club that allowed New shooters to get Experience in match conditions We had 23 shooters and I allowed new shooters to shoot for $5.00 and people that had competed before and wanted scores turned in to NRA to shoot for $11.00
    This compared to normal fees from $25.00 -$40.00 plus ammo & travel.
    No matter what type of pistol shooting you want to do From Plinking to IDPA to Steel Plates to Bulls-Eye If you learn Bulls-Eye first it will make you BETTER in every kind of pistol shooting
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the great advice gents. There are a couple of places near me that have limited bullseye matches (900 only). I just need to juggle my schedule a bit and make it to those.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ask one of the shooters to show you how to establish your 'natural point of aim'. This will go a long way in helping you make good shots/groups.

The way I was taught was to stand in the proper position (from the AMU manual) and, while looking at the target, close my eyes and point the index finger of my shooting hand at the target. If the finger wasn't centered on the 'bull', I'd move my rear foot to correct and repeat the process until I was 'pointing' at the target. THEN, I grasp the pistol and shoot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iceracerx
    Ask one of the shooters to show you how to establish your 'natural point of aim'. This will go a long way in helping you make good shots/groups.

The way I was taught was to stand in the proper position (from the AMU manual) and, while looking at the target, close my eyes and point the index finger of my shooting hand at the target. If the finger wasn't centered on the 'bull', I'd move my rear foot to correct and repeat the process until I was 'pointing' at the target. THEN, I grasp the pistol and shoot.

I'm a big fan of NPoA. One of the firs things I thought my son. It really does work. My biggest problems are my trigger finger and wrist. If I can get those to work right I get decent groups. But never fails that 1 out of 10 shots will be out of the group because I get too relaxed with my fundamentals.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by AzAfshin
    Another question for the experts here about pistol grip both for one handed and two handed shooting. I can't find a shooting coach so I get almost all of my shooting advice on line from articles and here.

So based on my reading so far, I know the proper hold, but almost everyone mentions "locking your wrists". This is what I don't understand. Anatomically, the wrist is not a lockable joint. It's a rotating joint, so it can't be locked like an elbow or a knee. Also, trying to hold the wrist position by tensing your tendons or muscles will introduce a significant wobble. So can someone properly explain to me what "locking your wrists" really means?

Brian Zins teaches a different hold, I use it and it works. The backstrap should be in the crease of the palm towards the center of the hand. It is more stable than the more traditional meat of the thumb location. You use muscles to hold the wrist steady through recoil allowing the guns recoil to move your body not move the wrist or elbow.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost

Brian Zins teaches a different hold, I use it and it works. The backstrap should be in the crease of the palm towards the center of the hand. It is more stable than the more traditional meat of the thumb location. You use muscles to hold the wrist steady through recoil allowing the guns recoil to move your body not move the wrist or elbow.

That might work if I had bigger hands, unfortunately, with my hand size I wouldn't be able to reach the trigger properly in that type of a hold.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually Brian has very small hands too. the grip does not change the trigger finger location it simply rotates the grip to the cent of the palm. go to his web site where he has a pic of the grip, it will make sense.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Tried the grip yesterday and today and wow, it really feels much better. Shifting the strap into the crease actually allowed my trigger finger to get a better angle on the trigger. And sure enough after a few mags of practice, my group got a bit smaller than with my prior grip.

Thanks for the pointer.
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Warnings on two handed grips:
    1) Don't put the left thumb over the right hand when shooting a semi-auto, as the slide could cut two slashes right through the skin
    2) Do not use the extended left thumb grip, the so many action pistol shooters use with their semi-autos, when firing a revolver as the hot gasses coming out the cylinder/barrel gap can do grievous damage to your thumb.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When using any single or two handed grip on a revolver, have no body part in front of the front of the cylinder.
    Though the Kolb Baby Hammerless 22 frame is shaped to be shot that way, one drove several small lead chunks into the first joint of my index finger.