In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

270 Win. and SMK 135 gr. HPBT?

NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭
Has anyone toyed with this combination? I bought a couple of boxes of these bullets a while back with the idea of seeing what kind of accuracy I could wring out of my old Model 70. I haven't had the opportunity to try anything yet so thought I'd ask here and see what ya'll have tried.
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those look nice. My last 270 was a Remington 721 back in the early 70's. Full case of H4831 and a bullet made for easy loading. Got the biggest fish of my life with that rifle.

https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/product.cfm/sn/1833/277-dia-135-gr-HPBT-MatchKing
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thank, Charlie. I've managed to squeeze dime sized groups out of my '74 vintage Model 70 but am always tinkering and trying for less.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I've always shot Jack O'Connor's load, 59gr H4831 and 130gr bullet. I went to 140gr Nosler AccuBond, replacing the 130gr Patrician. Shoots same point of impact, couldn't believe it, 10gr bullet weight difference, same primer and powder charge.
    I use H4831SC and Winchester LRP primer. O'Connor used the original H4831 long grain powder, he used magnum primers to be sure he got that old stick powder lit. I have 2 pre 64 M70s, a rifle and a featherweight, I have a post 64 M70 270 built in 1972, supposedly the worst of the post 64 vintage. That 1972 vintage 270 shoots better than either of the pre 64s.
    W.D.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    You guys are forcing me to reconsider the loads that I've contemplated firing in an Al Biesen built M70 270 (instructions were "make it just like Jacks"). It's been in the safe waiting for the day that I would have the courage to take it hunting. this year I may not only take it to the range, I may actually take it into the woods- or I may revert to by trusty 338 Alaskan.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Ray,
    My dad killed a bunch of elk with his pre 64 featherweight 270. He read everything O'Connor wrote and swore by the 270. I've killed white tail, mule dear, local black tail, Caribou and a couple of elk with a 270. I'm a believer.
    W.D.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Every critter I've shot with the 270 was a one shot drop, except for 1 elk, and I must confess to a severe case of bull fever on that one, it was my first. The first 3 shots were clean misses, but the 4th was right through the boiler room. All the elk (10) and deer (lots!) were with either Winchester or Remington 130 grain factory loads.
    On their website Sierra says the 135 grain bullet is not recommended for hunting so I guess for handloads I'll stick with their 140 grain sbt's for that. The 140's give great accuracy from my rifle with a moderate load of 44.5 grains of 4064. For some reason it doesn't do as well with the 4831SC that so many favor/ Doesn't appear that many folks have played with the 135's so I guess I'll have to start from scratch and see where things go.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Sierra Match king bullets were one of my favorite tips to use, when I reloaded for accuracy.

Here's an odd thing I found out about them....If you have a rifle with
    a bad crown on the muzzle, the SMK seemed to be the best to tighten back group sizes. Must be the big boat tail they have.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With the availability of new .277 bullets (Matrix VLDs 165/175 and whenever Berger comes out with their 170) and barrel/powder; the love for the legendary .270 Win (and its variant) and Mr O seems to be re-emerging in popularity once again.

I shoot the Matrix 165 and 175 VLDs out of my .270 AI. I have pushed the 175 near 3100 FPS out of my 30" Lilja 1:8" 3-groove but my current accuracy load is 2993 FPS.

P3031670_zps133ec313.jpg
    (150 NBT .270 Win vs 175 Matrix VLD .270 AI)