In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Handloading Tips

v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
If you need to pull a bunch of loads using an inertia puller, unscrew the cap a turn or two after pulling the bullet and shake the hammer head into your hand. The loose bullet will drive the case & powder into your hand without having to mess with the collet. This speeds up the process.
Another is to install a piece of tubing into small primer shell holders.
It will center priming punches during priming with Lee press tools.
Flare the tube at both ends with taper punch to keep it in place.
I use 1/4"o.d. x .195 I.D. aluminum tubing. It may be refrigeration
tubing.

Comments

• wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    I "think" I know what you're describing, but could you post a pic of the tubing in shell holder tip, just for reference?
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When using the inertia bullet puller, I dump powder and bullets into a small container about 2.5" diameter by 2" deep. Then I pluck the bullets out with tweezers. Dumping powder into a sweaty palm is way down my list of "things to do".
    I'm not at all understanding the need for the tubing thingie you describe.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    When using the inertia bullet puller, I dump powder and bullets into a small container about 2.5" diameter by 2" deep. Then I pluck the bullets out with tweezers. Dumping powder into a sweaty palm is way down my list of "things to do".
    I'm not at all understanding the need for the tubing thingie you describe.

Same here about using the small container. I also use a sponge type ear sound reducer maybe two in the end of the inertia puller. It keeps the sharp pointed bullet from deforming.

What is this about the tubing thingie mer gizzia, gizmo???
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be creative if you have sweaty palms. Use a glove or a deep padded container.After many years of handloading, I heard of that one.
    The next one is mine.
    By installing tubing to reduce universal shell holder center holes for ctgs using small primers, you will center the primer punch, centering the primer during the priming operation.
    This tip is for priming tools that use standard shell holders.
    To keep the tubing insert in place, use a tapered punch to expand both ends. This tubing could also be copper.
    I haven't learned how to post pictures but will send you an email attachment if it still isn't clear.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think he is saying to use the tubing as a sleeve to reduce the larger {app. .250" hole down to a tighter fitting small primer size of .170"} for better alignment.

Not his photo and not really correct, but to get an idea...
    Ram3.jpg
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, sleeving shell holders take up clearance between the small primer .174 punch diameter of the Lee press priming tool and the .250 inside dia of the standard shell holder.
    This fix applies to the Lee tool.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't use those priming set-ups. That would be the reason I was perplexed by the suggestion.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    I don't use those priming set-ups. That would be the reason I was perplexed by the suggestion.

Same here about not using the LEE, but I use a similar type RCBS both a hand held type that requires changing the large and small punchs and a RCBS bench mount therefore no sleeving ever needed.
  • rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Save your ears and central nervous system.
    Get yourself the right size bullet puller
    from RCBs or Lee and you'll never look back.[;)]
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rong
    Save your ears and central nervous system.
    Get yourself the right size bullet puller
    from RCBs or Lee and you'll never look back.[;)]

I have a few RCBS bullet pullers and I prefer the http://grip-n-pull.com/
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Forster style collet puller gets tighter the harder you pull, the RCBS style gets looser. Military ammo pulls easier if you break the sealer bond by seating the bullets about 1/10" deeper right before you pull them.