In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

RCBS Lube-Sizer users-Update

Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
The only adjustments that I see are for the start and stop of the ram/bullet into and out of the size/lube die. Is there any way to keep the lube from filling in below the bullet and over the top of the bullet?

Tried the suggestions and they work great- I keep pressure on the top of the bullet so that the lube doesn't get under it and also only push the bullet into the die only til the top ring in level with the die- Also, I only run the heater if I'm using Rooster Red or one of the other "hard" lubes.

thanks again!!

Comments

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    IIRC that is the result of injecting to much lube.
    IOW to much cranking on the wrench.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    lube over the top = too much depth
    lube under the bullet = too much pressure on the lube or a un-square bullet base (or a dinged plunger)

or possibly an under size bullet like a .355" bullet in a .358" die
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try adjusting the ram stop nut UP until the base is no longer lubed, it is stopping where a hole is partially exposed squirting lube under the bullet. Also back off the pressure a bit, the groove does not need to be packed full to work just fine.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try keeping pressure on the handle to prevent lube under the bullet, if you are getting lube on the nose of the bullet then you have the bullet set too deeply in the die. Excess pressure on the lube screw could cause those issue too.

Gas checked bullets sized bare foot will fill in with lube, unless the(I)die ram is stepped to fit the base of the bullet correctly.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Lube on the top of the bullet can be easily corrected by adjusting the ram depth. If you're lubing an especially short bullet you might have to fill in the holes on the die with lead shot except for the top one.

On the bottom, that's an issue I have happen a lot. While too much screw pressure can cause it, other things can too. Let's address that one first. Try to get a rhythm going of 'crank the lube, lube the bullet, lube another, lube another' then look at the grooves. With smaller bullets I usually get 2-3 bullets from one small turn of the crank, with bigger ones, I usually get 2. In other words... don't turn the crank for every bullet.

Other issues could be as said unsquare bases. Check your casting technique. Too-soft lube. SPG in particular does this to me. For smokeless I love the old 50/50 alox/wax. Hard enough not to get under the bullet, soft enough to flow without heat.

If it DOES get under the bullet it isn't the end of the world. If a rifle cartridge that you keep upright with no powder near the lube, a film on the base won't hurt anything; otherwise just keep an old towel handy to wipe the bullet off against.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    IF you ever find a Star sizer buy it thay are currently made by magmus you can lube 20 bullets a minute as the bullets go straight in the top out the bottom design and you have one handle to move down stroke then up stroke with right hand and your left handplaces a bullet on top of die at up end of right hand stroke and then catch previous bullet near end of right hand's down stroke. . I have lubed over 250,000 45ACP bullets