In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Powder of choice for 45 ACP

375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
Shooting 230 gr. FMJ out of a S&W 4506 and a Glock 21. I always went to Win 231 , but I was told that powder has been discontinued [:(]

Switched to Unique ( 5.7 gr's )and it's been working just as well.

I was reading Alliant's catalog , and they state that Bullseye powder was made just for the 45 ACP . Any of you folks ever use that ?

I was going to pick a lb up and try it but figured as long as the unique was available I would stick with it.

Thank ya kindly for any & all input .

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 375H&H I always went to Win 231 , but I was told that powder has been discontinued

You were told wrong. Apparently somebody at St Marks was whining to somebody at Hodgdon that 231 was more expensive to make than some of their other stuff. But it SELLS. Hodgdon now says nothing to worry about for at least ten years.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot Bullseye for years in my 1911 and K38. Unique works fine just takes more, same for RedDot. Then I got a great deal on W231, buy 3# get 5 free.

Powder and primer shortages have happened several times. If you like a powder I suggest you get several pounds when you are able.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    loaded over 250,000 rounds of 45ACP with Bulls-Eye75% lead 200 grain 25% 230grain Jacketed . "PRAISE THE HARD - BALL GUN"
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bullseye has been around for so long for standard and target loads for the .38 Special and .45 ACP it's a wonder that you haven't tried it before. Plus, it is probably the most economical to use for standard velocity pistol loads.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Like I mentioned from the start , I always used win 231 .

I just stopped tonight and picked up 2 lbs of unique . He does have 2 or 3 containers of bullseye , will have to try it .

Thanks for the info [:)]
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Another vote for Bullseye, 5grs is the standard load.
    W.D.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Bullseye and Red Dot are my two favorite pistol powders (excepting magnums). They have quite similar burn rates, just Red Dot is bulkier. While 5 gr of Bullseye and a 230 gr bullet is the standard, you can download that pretty well for plinking. With a lead bullet I run 3.5 gr or so with a 230 gr rn for plinking... accurate, and dumps the brass just a few feet from me.

Bullseye will also treat you right in 9mm, 38, and does very well in extremely small cases like the .32 acp. Yeah, there's not really load data for it, but if you start with half a grain and work up meticulously .1 gr at a time (make sure your scale is calibrated) and stop when you reach a load that reliably operates the gun, you will have a great plinking load.

What Bullseye doesn't do is provide maximum velocity; some guys are into that so if that's your goal, don't bother.

It also makes a pretty fair reduced capacity light cast bullet rifle load. 6 gr of bullseye in a 30-06 with a 150 gr cast lead bullet is a quintessential mouse fart load, going about 800 fps and great for 50 yards or even 100 if a calm day.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used Bullseye and 700X for target and plinking for years, both with lead and plated bullets. I really like Unique for full-power loads in the 9mm and 45 ACP, but have been trying Power Pistol recently and it seems to have merit as well.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    38 Special and 45ACP - Bullseye!
  • Options
    reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't believe I have ever loaded .45 ACP with any powder other than Bullseye.
  • Options
    mstrblastermstrblaster Member Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you can find Hodgdon HP38 it is exactly the same as 231!

Sorry, I haven't used Unique in years would have to check the books/or website...
    To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go out into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness, how cheap, how cowardly, how pathetic. Ted Nugent.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unique for plinking loads. 5.5-6.0 with a 200SWC or 230RN cast.

Five grains of bullseye duplicates the WWII ball load with 230 grain bullets. Most guns will function down to about 4.2 grains.

I have also shot TITEGROUP and like its clean burning.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Stopped by the local gunshop and picked up a lb of Bullseye and a lb of HP-38 . Still have a few boxes left of the 5.7gr load of Unique under a 230gr FMJ , That load shoots just fine FWIW out of the Glock 21 .
    I'll be set for a while now . Also, FYI , this fella on the auction side has some good deals on bullets . Here's a link .

http://www.GunBroker.com/All/BI.aspx?IncludeSellers=175579

Believe it or not , the bullets were delivered the same day I sent payment , heck of a good guy , bought from him on several occasions .

Thought I'd pass this info on for others .
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't speak about 230 gn, as I only shoot 185 and 200 gn bullets.
    .45 Auto powders (in order of preference):
    231/HP38
    Red Dot
    Bullseye
    AA2
    Solo 1000
    Unique (but not for super light Bullseye target loads)

If, and this is only IF, a powder is being discontinued, I consider that to be a call to buy what ever I can find, rather than go looking at other powders. I missed out on 452AA being discontinued, and I still regret not knowing in time. Found no other Win powder since to be any where near as accurate. Of course, in the market of the last 6 years, any powder you can find is a good powder...
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bullseye and unique are pretty easy to get and work OK too.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by noylj
    Can't speak about 230 gn, as I only shoot 185 and 200 gn bullets.
    .45 Auto powders (in order of preference):
    231/HP38
    Red Dot
    Bullseye
    AA2
    Solo 1000
    Unique (but not for super light Bullseye target loads)

If, and this is only IF, a powder is being discontinued, I consider that to be a call to buy what ever I can find, rather than go looking at other powders. I missed out on 452AA being discontinued, and I still regret not knowing in time. Found no other Win powder since to be any where near as accurate. Of course, in the market of the last 6 years, any powder you can find is a good powder...

I still have two lbs. left of Super-Target AA [^]