In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best rifle for .22 NRA bench rest competition

dannejdannej Member Posts: 478 ✭✭✭
Moved this over.

Comments

• Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I'm not familiar with the rules regarding rifle specs, but the rifle I use for informal club shoots that never has failed me is a 1948 M52, built by Les Womack with a PO Ackley barrel and canjar trigger and a Richards laminate stock. With a Unertl 10x it goes about 14 lbs so is not something to be carried.
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The one that won the last match?
    Would NRA have a list of competitors and the rifles used?
    I would also suspect that a lot has to do with the gunsmith and barrels and stocks used, and less on the original manufacturer.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What class are you looking to compete in?

If it is hunter class or factory type class then the Anschutz 54 action/rifle is almost unbeatable depending on the shooter.

If you are going for modified "unlimited" type rifle then you will need a custom built action, a special barrel and chamber, a scope that costs as much as a small car a custom stock, specialized trigger and a very expensive rifle rest.

Ammo is a HUGE part of rimfire shooting, it is the most persnickety caliber to feed bar none. You will be testing many lots of very expensive ammo and buying case lots of the one that shoots for you and your gun. Be prepared to pay as much for the ammo as you would for a centerfire premium hunting round.

This may help you some more. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

http://www.6mmbr.com/6mmbrforum.html
  • Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rimfire Benchrest is not an NRA competition. Go to the Benchrest Central Forums. They have an entire forum devoted to rimfire (one for air-guns too).