In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Loads for .222 & .223

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
Recently I have been playing with a couple of 788 Remingtons in above chamberings and have discovered a few good loads. The .222 shoots very well with 50 Sierra and 23 gr. H322. Velocity averages 3133 fps. I don't get .25" 5-shot groups every time or "all day long" as some like to say, but often enough to keep it interesting. Six 5-shot groups averaged .43". I read somewhere that if 55 gr. bullets in a .222 are held to just below 3000 fps they shoot better. 55 gr. Sierra blitz with 19.7 gr. IMR4198 shoots very well.

The .223 likes 28 gr. W748 with 50 Nosler ballistic tips @ 3359 fps. Remington 55 gr. PLHP and 28.5 gr CFE223 work well, too, @ 3239 fps.

Comments

• Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Not sure what the particulars are regarding better accuracy for the 55 gr SBT for less than 3000 fps, but when I shoot them at MV 3700 fps from a 22/3030A Mdl 1885 I get 1/2" groups at 100 yds, which is not quite as accurate as your loads, but I'm not sure that taking 700 fps off the velocity would shrink them.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow Ray you don't see many 22-30/30 these days, I remember the Zipper and the Donaldson Wasp.

4198 will teach you reloading penitence in a 222. I use a dipper to the scales pan, then a trickler followed by a long neck funnel. For the most part I use the 4198 in the 458 and 3031 in the 222.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.219_Zipper

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.219_Donaldson_Wasp
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Sako L-46 likes the 55 grain Hornady SX with 19.5 grains of IMR-4198 lit with a CCI small rifle magnum primer. Usually puts three slugs in about .4" at 100 yards and will stay on a prairie dog out to 300 yards with no problem. So, the 55 grain bullet seems to have a place in the .222 despite its 1 - 14" twist.
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    My triple 2 benchrest rifle likes IMR4198. 18.5 grains with a Sierra 52 Matchking in Lapua brass will shoot low .2's.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My real testing of accuracy out of especially a 223 (and cold bore tesing of all calibers) is the cold bore test. Shoot one shot from a cold bore at 100 yards over a period of several days and do the average for a group. Also keep a heads up and see if the group shifts on the following shots. When you find a load that produces excellent cold bore groups to same point of impact as warm bore groups you have a good barrel and have the correct load.

I've seen several calibers that would shoot a good warm bore group (especially 223's) but the cold bore groups were no good. The shooter has to do his part each time to do cold bore testing. (letting the barrel cool for at least 24 hrs between shots)

Try the cold bore testing.. It will test your patience, but when you find what the guns barrel really wants for good accuracy you will really like your gun and will probably sleep and cuddle with it and not let anyone else touch it.![;)]
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oakie,
    I don't often find the time or patience to do proper cold bore testing but I agree that it's a great thing to do. Target work is fun, but when I have to take out one of my rifles for serious work; meat hunting, varmint control, etc., it's good to know exactly where that first shot is going to go. (And then the ones after!) ;-)
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 22.8 gr. of 2015 behind a 50/52 gr. Sierra for accuracy in my .222.

In the .223 I use 23.8 gr. behind a 68 Horn./69 SMK.

In my .223 rifles with a 5.56 chamber I use 25.3 gr. of RE-15 behind a 75/77 HPBT.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Todd,
    I've used your load of 22.8/AA2015/50 Sierra (I believe you're the one who recommended it to me) in nine different rifles and it shoots very well in most of them. 39 5-shot groups average 1.06". A couple of those rifles are a bit of a problem accuracy wise. The BSA for instance, while a beautiful rifle, is fussy. I haven't tried the 52 gr. Sierra yet but I'm taking 8 rifles to the range tomorrow, weather permitting, and I might get to it then.

My .223's are bolt actions and are, I believe, too slow twist (1-12) for the heavy, long bullets you shoot.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ambrose,

So many factors in superb accuracy that I can't mention how many times I've forgotten to double check. I rarely shoot flat foreend rifles as they don't translate so well off the bench as on. So, rolling is a problem. And the ever omnipresent parallax bug. You think you've gotten it just right, the view is 100% clear, but you're inside the scope....and you've moved[B)]. You have to find that original cheek weld where you can back out of the view then back in concentricly. So the black comes out and touches the scope edges evenly. No amount of parallax adjusting on the scope has ever gotten me "dead on". My eyes simply focus through the problem even though it exists. And the mechanics....oh the mechanics... Pulling shots, different shoulder placement/recoil movement, shark-eyeing, Big guns are the worst for me when it comes to mechanics.

But, you know it when you're "ON" and a rifle just isn't shooting as well as you can. I've heard both about BSA. Incredibly accurate to couldn't hit the side of a barn from the inside. Although the latter seems definitely shooter related...[;)]
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    In my Savage 12, 26 gr of BLC2 and a 50 gr Hornady polymer tip A-max will put every shot touching at 100 if I hold the gun steady on the bench.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    In my Savage 12, 26 gr of BLC2 and a 50 gr Hornady polymer tip A-max will put every shot touching at 100 if I hold the gun steady on the bench.

Good to hear that BLC2 will work for someone.
    I've tried BLC2 in several very accurate guns (guns that are very accurate with other powders) and still experimenting with BLC2 every chance I get and have yet to find a gun that likes BLC2 for good consistent accuracy. BLC2 and IMR4895 seems to be ok for firecrackers.
    Have a 223 that loves H4895 but not IMR4895. I don't even test IMR4895 anymore because I can find other powders that will get consistent repeatable accurate results.

My experience with IMR4895 is it's not trustworthy, it will group good one day and not next. BLC2 just don't ever group good for any of my guns or me.[:(]
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    223 LC brass. Fed 205 primer. 28 grains of WW748. Bulk WW 55 gr spitzer w/c bullet. 3155 fps. 2.250 OAL. Rem 788, bedded and trigger replaced. 100 yards 5 shots 3/8 inch. Ground squirrels love it. NOT!