In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Casting Bullets For a 30-30

buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
I have been casting pistol bullets for a long and thinking about trying to make some,about 150 grain,for a 30-30.What is a good mold and do the need to be gas checked? What velocity should they be loaded to and still be accurate? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lyman 311440 is 150 gr. I like the 31141 176 gr. better both are gas checked design.

I generally run all my cast bullets barefoot at a little slower if needed because it's less powder and no nickel a piece gas check making cheap trigger time. Alloy and lube are as important as powder selection and sizing diameter if a gas check is required or actually necessary. Less than 1500 fps no GC, more than 1800 fps a GC starts coming into plays. I don't think there a clear cut rules, you need to shoot your rifle and see what it likes.

There are some gas check makers out there. I wouldn't run aluminum ones in any barrel I cared about. A beat up old pitted dark bore war horse I would shoot aluminum gas checks made from cans with no concern.

Added .311 is already up to .003 over.
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lee also has a FN 150gr mould that requires a gas checks.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I use the Lyman 311440, which is virtually straight sided and rounds to a large flat point. The bullet is short enough that it feeds smoothly through the old 1894, so works well enough, but if I were buying a new mould I'd probably get the 31141 for the tapered point.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Size the bullets at .311 or .312?
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Although I hate to admit it I like the Lee molds for ease of use, good quality and low cost. The Lyman molds may be "better" for casting 200,000 bullets over 40 years but they are too expensive for experimenting with loads and little used calibers.
  • Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 904 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam Fadala did a lot of experimenting with 30-30 loads and listed one using 180 gr. cast bullet, no. 2 alloy (RCBS #30-180-FN) that he said was consistently accurate & suitable for deer hunting. 30 gr. of H-380, 26" bbl, 1911 fps (not tested in 20" bbl). This info from his book "Winchester's 30-30, Model 94". I have been using 180 gr. jacketed bullets for deer for a number of years and am sold on the heavier bullet (neck shooting only, consistent one-shot kills).
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    The bullet casts out at .311" and I size it to .309" for use in a barrel that measures .308".