In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

IMR 4451

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
Anyone tried it? It appears it's supposed to be similar to, but a little slower than, IMR 4350 but with temperature insensitive qualities. I doubt that it will replace the 4350's I keep on my shelves but I might try it.

Comments

• Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just for fun,
    How many powders can you name that have hit the market in the last 20 years or so that are no longer available. (lots !)
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These days who knows how long something will last on the market and how much of the marketing is hype.

I would consider a new powder if there was plenty on the shelf. I'd buy a can, test it and if the firearm liked it I'd go back and buy enough to last me some time.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I don't know how anyone keeps up with the blue platespecial of the WEEK I saw some yesterday that claimed to CLEAN the bore of all jacket material so I guess it was 50 % sand that should clean the bore don't you think [V] I have been using the same half dozen for over 50 years I dont see any advanage with the flavor of the month
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perry shooter was around when smokeless powder and percussion caps were just a dream. [:D][;)][}:)][:)][:D]

I've only been loading for 44 years and must admit there are TWO powders that I have found to be a valuable addition to the shelf. Tite Group, with its low charge weights and clean burning is great for Pistol calibers and Varget for rifle.

However if those were not available then IMR4895 and Bullseye would keep me happy for another 44 years of loading.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    The only flavor of the week powder that has blown my shirt up, is Trailboss. I use H4831SC for the largest share of my hunting rifles. H4895, H1000, IMR 4350 and Reloader #7 get used also. Bullseye, H110, 296, Unique, some Blue Dot and Red Dot make up my pistol powders Shotgun powder is primarily Red Dot, Unique for the 410s.
    I'm a lot like Karl, I'm not going to change what has worked for me for years.
    W.D.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So
    nobody has tried it! I guess it's up to me, then.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looking foreword to your excellent range report.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ambrose
    So
    nobody has tried it! I guess it's up to me, then.

I am wondering how it would work in my 6.5x55. It seems to have a good burn rate for it.