In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22 performance

casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
I am interested in opinions on twist rate ~ bullet weight ~ velocity.

In particular a 22with a 4 1/2 barrel + comp and a 1/16 twist.

The distance is only 21~50', I know that is not far and my ability is the most important factor (I am working on that).

But for bullet performance would you chose jacked or lead, 36 or 40 gn, standard vel. 1050 or HV 1200+?

Any opinions on stability and consistency would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    WELL, NOBODY MAKES A 'JACKED'(jacketed ;-) ) .22 L.R BULLET. THEY ARE PLATED. YOUR PARTICULAR PISTOL WILL 'LIKE' SOME MORE THAN OTHERS, so you have some testing to do. at those distances almost anything will shoot accurately.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Point taken on Jacked. Carpal tunnel has affected sensitivity and at times I think I hit keys, but don't.
    If spell check misses it, it could very well get overlooked. But your Plated not jacketed is accurate, Thank You.

I have seen lot's of references to "what your gun likes best" and that seems ambiguous. Do you mean "what your gun is most accurate with"?

I can see where any 22 should exit the barrel stable and flat for at least 50'. Just looking for preferences.
    If you wanted to hit a quarter at 21' any 22 bullet would be OK?
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    When I get a new 22, I grab my test bag with about15 different boxes of ammo and head for the range. Shoot at 50ft for groups an write down he ammo it likes best.
    Shoot standard and high velocity both [;)]
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for they all like different things and sometimes certain lots of one brand. The only way to tell is to shoot a variety and keep notes.

I don't shoot a lot of LR because most all the bulk packed ammo is crap due to poor quality control. I stocked up on CCI minimags long before the last 2 ammo shortages. These work well in both my High Standard HD Military and the bull barrel Mark II Ruger.

I shoot my model 53 S&W 22 Jet for perhaps a cent a round with cast bullets.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    22 LR rimfire is used in many rifle & pistol matches NRA Bulls-EYE matches are shot at 50yards and 25 Yards match grade pistols target grade will shoot 10 shot groups at less then one inch . ammo is not only the item you will see that determine group size but also the pistol I have tested over 100 Pistols in the last 40 + years in a ransom rest This is a machine you mount the pistol in for testing I have had some pistols shoot a less than 1/2 inch group with one brand of ammo and 3 inches with another all at 50 yards bUt what you may not want to hear is all ammo will have a number on the box . This is a lot Number All this ammo with same batch of powder EMPTY cases and primer material One lot number may shoot 3 times the size group ans the next lot # from the same brand. buying one 50round box as a test and going back to buy another next day or next year IS NOT testing IT has to be by the LOT number
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The real key to accuracy is CONSISTENCY from shot to shot. This is where you see serious .22 rimfire shooters go to MATCH ammo. Match ammo is generally more consistent in velocity shot to shot within the same lot number.

Couple of common Match rounds are Eley Tenex, Wolf Match, Nobel, Lapua, Fiocchi, etc. Most is standard velocity, and most has an unplated HEAVILY lubed bullet. And yeah, the crap is EXPENSIVE. But if you like putting 5 bullets in one ragged hole at 50 yards, that's the stuff.

In nonmatch ammo, I have had good luck with Federal Champion Target STANDARD VELOCITY, and much of the CCI ammo. Your mileage may vary.

Accuracy can be expensive. How accurate did you wanna be?

Some reading for you- http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/22lr-rimfire-ammo-comparison-test/
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CCI standard velocity is a good place to start. Wolf Match Target was on sale by the case at www.shootingsportsusa.com.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Casper I really doubt that you could find ANY .22 ammo that would give you BAD results, in the context of plinking.

If you have a target gun and the ability to wring it out, then pony up for some standard velocity match ammo. If you are just plinking, it really won't matter, it will all work well.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "I have seen lot's of references to "what your gun likes best" and that seems ambiguous. Do you mean "what your gun is most accurate with"?"

That would be correct. Since rimfire ammo is not normally reloaded, the only way to find the most accurate ammo is buy and shoot various brands/types until one meets your expectations.
    I recently traded for a new Ruger 22/45 and had considerable frustration in ammo selection. I'm still not where I'd hoped to be but I'm beyond sending the darned thing back for a do-over.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank You all.
    So there is no "Best" in the equipment I listed. But trial and trial.
    That's fine, now that 22's appear to becoming available again.
    I have been using Federal Match 40 lrn, I think I will try some Norma and Eley.
    I have an assortment but it is all the bulk stuff.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    GO to www.champchoice.com this is one of the biggest and best supplier of match grade ammo for 22LR.
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    remington thunderbolts right out the box were hitting underlayment nail heads at 50 feet and driving the nails right thru 3/4 inch plysteel sheets with my ruger single six's that I use for fun.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should