In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bullseye targets

AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
I know the regulation bullseye targets for slow, timed, and rapid fire at 25 yards. Unfortunately the range I'm a member at is really only 23 yards at most.

Are there targets for these three events designed for 20 yards? I realize that it won't be exactly the same thing as shooting at the proper distances since the hole size will be too big compared to the reduced size of the target rings, but I usually score myself using the center of the bullet hole anyways (just my way of pushing myself further).

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know of any adjusted targets but the 6' short is not too much to worry about.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bet if you did the math you could print out your own target that had the right scale sized rings not that I think the difference is worth it for most folks.. SketchUp or another free cad program would work. Print a few then just make copies at Kiko's.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I pretty much came to the conclusion that I may have to make my own. I just wanted to know if they existed so that I could get maybe 4 targets per piece of paper.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello NRA Bulls-eye does have 50 FOOT reduced size legal targets We used to have only a 50 foot indoor range Then we bought a 14 point 25 yard police range took it apart trucked it 400 + miles and built a building for it It has system to allow us to bring each target from the backstop to the firing line for scoring and target change.but Computer system to turn the targets never worked that is reason PD sold it to us. the 50foot target is really hard so score good on but with the bigger hole made with a 45 ACP scores average slightly better than 45acp shot at 25 yards with 25 yard targets . IF you can shoot 850 + out of 900 on the 50 foot targets at 50 feet you will be on your way to Master class scores in a 2700 match. [^]
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NRA targets B4 for 20 yard slow fire, B5 for 20 yard rapid/timed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info gents.

Perryshooter, that is great info about what scores are competitive. I haven't participated in any competitions yet, just against myself. As such, I don't even know if I should compete or if I'm just fooling myself [8D]
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fooling yourself how? Do you expect to win the first day?

Remember, last place at the match beats everybody who didn't show up.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    True Hawk. But also second place is just first loser [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    WAIT WAIT one of the big + in bullseye pistol shooting is Classification of all shooters There are Marksman Sharpshooter Expert Master & HIGH Master . just like golf or Bowling there is classes from makeup of past scores HANDYICAP . You compete against other shooters of your skill level Only in small matches with few shooters do they Combine classes.all averages are based on score over last 360 Shots fired. 10 shots per target zero to -84.9 marksman sharpshooter 85-89.9
    expert 90-94.9 master used to be anything 95 and above until they added High Master 97.5 and above
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The competitions here are very small, so I'd be going against all skill levels, most likely the ones that have been doing it regularly for a while.

Also, the only place I found around here that has competitions is a private membership range that has a 3 year waiting list. They'll allow non-members to compete, but I wouldn't be allowed to practice to "warm up". That bothers me. It's like saying "sure, we'll take your money to compete, but want to make sure you can't be ready to compete so our members can feel better about themselves." As I always say, "your business, your rules. My money, my rules."

I'm going to work with the owner of the range I'm a member at to see if we can start bullseye competitions there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes in 45 years of Bulls-Eye shooting I only know of one CLUB range that allows any kind of WARM UP .At Camp Perry there is a so called warm up day .But even then the first round down range Counts for score. Some rifle matches have targets with SIGHTER SHOTS but not pistol I used to run some matches sort of like enduro Motor CYCLE racing each shooter got to pick what he thought his score was going to be Each point below his guess counted one point but each point above his guess counted 2 points off his score This kept down the numbers of sand baggers and made for a fun match very few people can predict or shoot the score they have to shoot on the last rapid fire target You can do the same BET with even one friend Shooting with you [^]
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just jump in and do it! Even if you find yourself shooting against nothing but Masters you will have a good time and will also find yourself learning and improving. You will also find that most shooters are more than willing to help out a new guy (or gal) that is showing a desire to improve. I ran into this when I first started shooting IDPA. I couldn't imagine shooting as well as some of the folks I was competing with but with their tutelage and some practice I was quickly improving and having lots of fun doing it.
    Steel sharpens steel.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, you've got me all fired up now [:D]
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by AzAfshin
    Thanks guys, you've got me all fired up now [:D]

Atta boy! Go get 'em![^]