In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Finally got some satisfaction with the 6X45MM

MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
I bought a take-off White Oak Armory 6x45mm barrel from a local (sort of) guy who was going suppressed for his blaster. He threw in brass, dies, and loading info(take that with a grain of salt) that indicated best results with Remington 80 grain bullets. I didn't have much luck with them(or any other 80 grainers I had). Today I switched to Nosler 90 grain BT's and got some improvement. I wasn't in best form but did get a couple of nickel sized 100 yard groups. Maybe I've found something usable for Grandson to hunt deer with this year. He's been worried "his" AR won't be ready.

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mobuck,

Each of us has a different method of assessment for our rifles and handguns. It doesn't surprise me in the least that you and the original owner differ on your ideas.

I happen to have had excellent results with the 6x45mm (6mm x .223Rem.) with deer size game. As I have stated before we built a multitude of these for PHs to use in eradication or population control for the smaller deer in Africa. Quiet, gentle recoil but extremely accurate.

The AR platform is not my first choice for a young person to hunt with but that's your decision.

Good Luck with the hunt!

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's quite possible that swapping the barrel(and all associated parts) caused a different set of harmonics to arise. I have no idea what hand guard, gas block, or tube the original user had. I was hoping for a "plug and play" situation but it's taking a little more effort.

This rifle was not my idea for a 12 year old either. I had intended to run it a couple of years before letting the boy use it. Most likely he's going to use it as a single shot. He only hunts from a deer house/blind with an adult within reach anyway.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mobuck,

We find that every AR has to be tuned even if the very same parts are used in building multiple rifles. Tension on the barrel nut, a very slight misalignment of the hand guard, canted gas tube, too much tension on the gas block, slight differences in the feeding ramps, on and on until you think you're going nuts!

I used the 95 grain Nosler Partition for most of the testing for the PH rifles. But these were bolt action rifles not semi-auto gas guns. The Partitions were easy to develop loads with and demonstrated excellent accuracy.

Single shot is good because it will train him to wait for the best shot since it will take some work and time to get next cartridge loaded.

Have fun with him and best of luck!

Best.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a used 16", 6x45 barrel and dies some years ago and assembled it into an AR with free floating handguard and JP trigger.
    It shot very well.
    I would caution that soft points jam and FMJ and HP bullets work fine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    About 1.5" is the best it will do- I can't replicate the 1"(nickel sized) group from my previous session. I had to shorten the OAL slightly to work through the P-Mag which might be a factor. Son was here and tried to do better but those nearly symmetrical 3 shot triangles kept showing up. As it is, Grandson is pleased. He blew up some water filled milk jugs and deemed it a deer killing machine. We only had 5 loads left and he's quite concerned that's all the ammo available(which is correct until I make more). I told him he'd better not do any missing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It did it's job well. Grandson hit a medium sized buck through both shoulders( 4" too far forward) at 125-135 yards. Buck ran 100' and piled up. Bullet jacket was under skin on opposite side after shattering off side shoulder joint.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well done, but I like my freezer meat on the rare side[:)]